Gbr Or Bolivian? Male Or Female

1. thezoo

thezoo Valued Member Member

I was told this was a German blue ram when purchased several months ago. Bought 4, 3 died right away. He/she was in my large tank, but moved him to my 10g a week ago due to tank cleanout, and he's stayed there ever since. When he was in the large tank, with out a dozen danios, he stayed hidden. But now in the small tank alone, he comes out much more.

I tried to sex him but one of the things I read online is that the German blue ram has a large spot near his face and mine does not have any spot. Is he still a blue ram? Someone else that he might be a Bolivian instead.

Would love to figure out which he actually is, and whether or not he is actually a he or she.

For the life of me I cannot figure out how he has remained alive, they are supposedly very difficult to keep, and my tank is a disaster but yet somehow he continues thriving.

Also, now that he is in the small tank he sees himself in the reflection of one of the sides and comes out and plays with himself a lot. Dancing around with his reflection. Does that mean he is lonely and could use a buddy? Or is he perfectly content alone?

020779667b1181516c8e6fe3d6cf8723.jpg

a78207e010c19a9433f3fde1e63d95e0.jpg

36672c9a5ffa12baa7a0500ad242a95f.jpg

2. cichlid234

cichlid234 Valued Member Member

Looks toe a gbr German blue ram I have 2
    What's your temp in the big tank and small. Also do you have an api test kit?
    As far as sexing I'm no expert but I think males have a more prominent v shaped tail fin.
    They do well together in large tank in my experience. A 10 is too small for more than one IMHO

3. Prism

Prism Well Known Member Member

Thats a GBR, I do not know about the male or female.

4. OP
    OP
    thezoo

thezoo Valued Member Member

Temps in both tanks about 82 degrees before I moved him to small tank. Big tank is down to 78 now. I have test kits, water params in both tanks are bad, have been for months. That's an ongoing issue which I've posted about in separate thread. For whatever reason, this guy seems to keep on ticking. And he seems much happier in the small tank. I know it's not ideal, but I don't want him back in the big tank, so perhaps I should buy him a new tank and some friends.

5. cichlid234

cichlid234 Valued Member Member

I've read that you can have 2 in a 20 gal with no real aggression, mine are in a 135 and enjoy every bit of swim space they like the warm water. First thing I would do is get perams right in big tank which I'm sure your workin on w the help of our friends on this forum

6. Jayd976

Jayd976 Well Known Member Member

GBR for sure. Females tend to have pink patch on their bellies.

Males:
    No black lines in the pelvic fins
    The black marking on the side is solid black
    Bigger built and the dorsal fin will be longer and spikier
    Not a pink hue in sight on the stomach area

The female:
    Will have black stripes going though her pelvic fins (this is a great one to remember as when they are very young this coloring already shows if all others fail... the stripes are usually also apparent in a stressed colorless fish)
    If she is a happy and shining then you can see that her shiny blue dot's cover her side black marking.
    If she is a very happy then her belly will show a pink hue to let those men know that she is ready for a mate.

7. hooked-worm77

hooked-worm77 Valued Member Member

8. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Male GBR. Easiest way to spot a female is a red belly.

9. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

If we want to be exact, a male ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi). Forget the "German Blue". That was a very nice linebred strain that was much sought after and quite expensive at one time, and fish-farm marketers named all domestic rams 'German blue" to cash in. It's a bit like ordering a golden retriever and getting a mutt using the breed name. Mutts are great dogs, and that's a nice ram. It could be a Singapore, Thai, Malaysian, Israeli or American ram.
    It's a sociable fish, but not in a 10 gallon. A group in a 30 would be fine.

10. Platyfishquestions

Platyfishquestions New Member Member

How did you upload the pictures onto your thread? I'm trying to do the same but it isn't working.

11. C

Coptapia Valued Member Member

None of these points are accurate in determining gender., yet they're still all over the internet. Males and females can both have a black stripe in the pelvic fins, and a solid Spot or one with blue spangles. Males often also have pink on the sides. As for the fins, they can only be used accurately to compare fish of similar age, as both males and females can have extensions, especially as a lot these days seem to contain genes for long fins.

The most reliable way to determine gender in Rams (ramirezi) is body and head shape, although females are easy when they're in breeding condition, when their red belly is brighter than any male's.

12. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

20170725_112954.jpg 20170722_131416.jpg
    Here you can clearly see the difference between a male and female. This is when they hadnt even coloured up yet and it was still very clear. When they're at a young size (which they usually are when you're buying them) things like body and head shape don't differ greatly. Even with my two now it's quite hard to notice any distinct difference, the only major one being that the female is a lot smaller. Even the breeders used the "pink belly" as a sign of a female when I went to buy them. Trying to look at the body shapes whilst 20 of them are all swimming around would be close to impossible...