Gbr Nipping Problem

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Brentley Johnson, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Brentley JohnsonValued MemberMember

I have one female German Blue Ram and she will nip at any fish that comes near her. However it’s not everytime but enough to do a small bit of damage to fins. What is recommended or suggested. Thanks

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

what size aquarium, and what are you keeping with her.

3. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

What size tank is she in? What is she kept with?

4. Brentley JohnsonValued MemberMember

She is in a 20 gallon, and I dont think she is full grown yet. But she is with a dwarf Gourami a dalamation molly, a betta (and yes i know a DG and a betta dont go together, how ever my betta is a docile fish), and she was with 2 guppies but they died. And there is plenty of hiding spots.

5. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

I'm guessing the betta is the issue. Realistically, you can't put bettas in a community. Many people do it, but it causes problems, Especially with cichlids no matter if they are rams or apistos.

6. Brentley JohnsonValued MemberMember

That is what I thought, but I’ve watched them closely and the only time the betta has nipped or flared up, was when the molly nipped at it one to many times and the betta snapped back. But since then for the past week the betta hasnt nipped once (that i have seen). However I have had the ram for about four days and I have finally gotten it to eat something.

7. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

I was talking about the betta being nipped at, but if you've only had the ram for a week, it's nipping fish to establish a territory. give it a week and a half and this should subside.

8. Brentley JohnsonValued MemberMember

Alright then I’ll just give it time, but for now do you have a recommendation for something to help with ripped or torn fins that may come?

9. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

indian almond leaves are an anti fungal and should help. they will also help give your fish a sense of security since they will leach tannins.

10. Brentley JohnsonValued MemberMember

So I’ve looked them up, and do you just put the appropriate amount into the water and let it sit there?

11. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Yep. Another good thing is just to ensure good water quality and the fins will heal in no time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice