GBR male/female ratio in 125 gallon

gray_matter16

I currently have 2 sapphire and 2 gold rams. The 2 sapphires are pretty aggressive and continually chase away the two gold rams. I'm worried the golds will die due to stress. I've had the sapphire's for about 3 weeks, and got the golds 1 week ago. My 125 gallon tank is heavily planted and has a lot of rocks and structures, but these 2 sapphires are persistent- essentially taking control of the entire tank. They will chase top to bottom, left to right, and corner to corner. I want to get more rams to distribute the aggression a bit.

In total there are 15 cardinal tetras plus the 4 rams. What would be a good amount, and good male to female ratio, to get these sapphires to mellow out a bit? Or to at least lessen the stress on the rest of the rams?

smee82

I would try removing the sapphires into a qt or another tank for a couple of days so they forget their territory and then add them back.

coralbandit

Place a dish or ceramic pot bottom about 4 inches in one of the far back corners .
That will give the sapphires a territory to claim for breeding if they are a pair .
If they like it block it off a little more to help contain / limit their territory .
If the golds are a pair [ m/f] they may be ok .
If they can't team up they may not do so well .
Watch for signs of damage like nipped fins , not just behavior ..
Do you want to add more rams ?

gray_matter16

Do you want to add more rams ?
Originally the plan was 6 (3 pairs). So yes, I'd like more- I like dwarf rams a lot. But the sapphire's behavior has me wondering if 8 or 10 would be better to distribute personalities. I'll try both things mentioned here and see if they work.

coralbandit

Adding more sooner then later will help all settle in .

gray_matter16

Adding more sooner then later will help all settle in .
Say I go with 10 total...keep the 1:1 M-F ratio?

coralbandit

I prefer pairs over trios or harems .
I kept 8 pairs in a 40b for over a year. Ram ranch .
As long as the eggs are removed [ on trays] or eaten and tray replaced if removed peace was kept .It was really great to watch !
Have one - two more trays /territories as you think pairs . 5 pair should have 7 trays so weakling can have a place to go [ unoccupied ] when alphas chase them out .
Then as long as pairs are firm they will be good .
When one mate is lost the other is on numbered days or they steal another's mate and that weak link is short lived ..
Knowing how to sex rams is the most important part of stocking .
Most sellers have no clue ...

gray_matter16

I prefer pairs over trios or harems .
I kept 8 pairs in a 40b for over a year. Ram ranch .
As long as the eggs are removed [ on trays] or eaten and tray replaced if removed peace was kept .It was really great to watch !
Have one - two more trays /territories as you think pairs . 5 pair should have 7 trays so weakling can have a place to go [ unoccupied ] when alphas chase them out .
Then as long as pairs are firm they will be good .
When one mate is lost the other is on numbered days or they steal another's mate and that weak link is short lived ..
Knowing how to sex rams is the most important part of stocking .
Most sellers have no clue ...
I am pretty confident in the 4 I have currently. They're mature and my substrate and background are black so they are coloring like no fish I've ever kept before.

What is the purpose of the tray(s)? I understand for territories but they don't have trays in nature so why will they use or care about trays in my heavily planted and scaped tank? Or are the trays sort of our way of telling them where territories should be?

gray_matter16

The ram likes to make pits or burrows to spawn in .
They also like a smooth stone low to substrate to spawn on .
Give a 3-4 in terra cotta pot tray and they can not resist laying eggs ..
It will dedicate their attention to one spot that you choose ..
Search some of my threads .
Lot of ram experiences are documented here and other fish forums .
Search results
Albino Dantumn Angels Breeding In Coralbandits Fishroom And More ! | Breeding Fish Forum | 366833
The gold female has started to fight the sapphire female. And the gold girl doesn't run away when the sapphire male tries to chase her. She's like standing her ground now against the male, but will actively and violently spar with the other female. The gold male is kinda a pushover and continues to hide. Still haven't tried the dishes or removing them. But wanted to update here in case anyone had any input/thoughts on the situation. Still planning on getting 4 more as soon as I can get some time to get to the LFS.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Cale24
  • Question
Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
DuaneV