Gbr Fry Help

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by Stum, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Stum

Stum Valued Member Member

hey I have a question I have 2 gbr fry that are maybe a month and a half old. They’re both in a 2.5 gallon tank right now and the one seems like when it’s feeding time he chases the other one around the tank. Should I put them in separate tanks or should I keep them together so they’re not alone?

2. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

You should move them to a bigger tank. I moved my GBR fry from a 5 gallon to a 29 gallon growout when they started bullying each other at 1.5 months and that fixed the problem as they had more room to move away from each other.

3. OP
    OP
    Stum

That’s what I was wondering but wasn’t sure just hesitant since this is where they grew up and don’t want them to die lol

4. OP
    OP
    Stum

so I have a batch of maybe 80 gbr eggs and about 10 of them are wiggling and the rest still have the black eye or spot in the eggs. My question is when should I slow the air flow? Should I do it now so I don’t kill the ones wiggling but if I do that will the rest of the eggs still hatch?

5. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

You could get a 10 gl. it would be plenty big enough.

6. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Congrats on the wrigglers, hopefully someone can help answer your questions today

7. OP
    OP
    Stum

hey guys wondering if anyone has any advice on a good way of raising gbr fry. I’ve read a lot on feeding bbs and so on. I’ve fed bbs before but feel it’s to big for them at first born but maybe not? I feed golden pearls right now mixed in water seperate. Is this a good idea anyone ever tried this stuff before ? Also they have even swimming for about 6 days now and I’ve noticed a few died already. Is there any tricks on water changes I know daily water changes but how much water do you change at a time? I hatched them in little plastic containers and now today I just switched them to a 2.5 gallon betta tank in hopes it will be easier to clean. The golden pearls make the water pretty merky. I only have maybe a half gallon of water in the tank. Just looking for some tips to get them to that 2 week old mark!

8. Fishywife

Fishywife Valued Member Member

Vinegar eels or microworms for the first week or so is your best bet, then switch to bbs. With water changes just try to remove uneaten food, deads etc. Make sure the water temp and ph are the same. I'd aim to use an airhose and take out any uneaten food an hour or two after adding it. As for volume, I tend to change at least 50% daily when they are really small. I breed Angel's mind you, but do have 2 pairs of gbr I'm hoping get jiggy!
    Another trick is to add a ball of java moss to the tank, it kinda collects food, and also should have infusoria living in and on it, which the fry will also eat in the very early stages, and will also help with water column impurities! Also, you'll want to keep the fry at about 82f, preferably 84.

9. OP
    OP
    Stum

I think I have the tank warm enough I’ve been feeding golden pearls. But also noticed I have a few that have died. It’s hard to clean the food out since they’re so small to see! I’m afraid to do a big water change because I’m afraid the water may be to cold for them? I might hang the water and warm it in another tank and do it that way. Also I put a small sponge filter in there now not sure if that’s a good idea or not? I’m going to add some brine tonight since they’re 8 days free swimming now. I appreciate the help it’s definitely hard since they’re such a small thing!

10. Fishywife

You will get a die off, some just wont make it past the first week. You can up the chances with more surviving with the live food, especially on the first week. Use a thermometer with your water changes if your worried!

11. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Yeah, as she said, keep that water temp and quality up. Water quality is EVERYTHING, especially in these critical stages. 2-3 times per day of live foods, then gradually progress to 3-4 times per day, tops. (after a week or two that is) And FYI some fry also like to/tend to eat from the bottom of the tank as well, so also keep that in mind. Sponge filter's fine, but be mindufl on how powerful it is. Don't want any unfortunate filter vacuuming of any poor fry now! They'll also pick off any leftover food on the sponge as well. Or a plastic or live plant.

12. OP
    OP
    Stum

You guys are awesome on the help I have the sponge filter just so it trickles into the water. But I need quick help not sure if it’s a big deal or not but I had some fry in a cup that I hatched them in and now they all have really long stringy poop coming from them is this anything to worry about?

13. Fishywife

Probably not. At least they are eating!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice