GBR female died suddenly

AndyVE

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had a pair of GBR in my tank for half a year now.
But a week ago i found my female dead on the bottom.
They tried to spawn a couple of times but as far as i noticed the eggs never hatched (got eaten).

But the last couple of weeks before she died the male was being more aggressive in chasing her.
Her colours faded a lot lately (from time to time).
So wonder it was him causing too much stress on her.

Even now when i feed my fish the male is very aggressive towards my cardinal tetra (lucky they are fast) and even tries to be with my dwarf gourami (but he can defend himself).
When no food is in the tank he behaves normal again.

In the past when they where mating he was also teritorial against all others, but never very aggressive. He only chased them for a second or so (so nothing serious).
Also never acted like that during feeding time...where always eating nicely together with all other fish.

Wonder if i should get him a new spouce...would that make him less aggressive again?
Also read that once they paired it is not so easy?
should i add 2 female (but do not think i can rehome one after he paired again).

Or should i just leave him alone?
Feel a bit sad for him now....

Dark Storm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had a female pair up with two different males spawn, get fry to free swimming stage with both, so it is possible.

Vyvid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry for your loss. I'm not extremely well versed. From what I've read though, pairs are generally better if they choose each other from a group.

Hopefully people will chime in. Again, sorry for your loss

Dark Storm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I found it very hard to get a properly sexed pair in the first place. I was very lucky with my gold Ram female, who not only endured pairing up with a gold male, managed to raise the fry, then loose her mate and the fry, but managed to pair her up with my older male and she went through the process again with him before the week was out.
I found moving the Ram seems to be the key, new set up, meant they seemed to start the pairing process again, which helped the female pair up with a new male. Might be worth considering setting up a QT tank, and get a female, then putting the male in with her and see how they go.

dmccormick91

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
yikes sorry to hear that. I had a pair that spawned twice but they never made it past the wiggler stage. Then after a water change the female disappeared. He lost all of his color and stayed to himself. I had another female but he wanted nothing to do with her. After a week he died, then the nest day the other female died. Im not sure how trying to pair him up again will work but if you really want a pair, get two more females see and see what happens. If he does pair up with another female I would return the other(s) and leave the two be. That's just my personal experience and opinion just thought Id share. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and keep us posted!

AndyVE

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Could i add a male apistogramma borelli instead (so 2 males cichlid in a 33g with a kind dwarf gourami).

or would it be better to get him 2 females?

update....figured out that 2 males is a no no.

so will see this afternoon if my LFS has two females
(for sure have a bunch of gbr when i was there yesterday)

Dark Storm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Now my female Ram was a bit ed off about the Kribs, I rehomed her after introductions didn't go well, she didn't like them sharing her home. She's gone to meet another Male Ram and apparently it's gone well, so she gets a companion of her own species and doesn't have to be stressed by new comers. Yes I do miss her, she was a right little madam, but I put her needs first, to be with her own kind.
I really don't know how your Ram would cope with Apisto's, depends on how much tank space you have,
I found two female Apisto's to one male works well, just watch the Ram's behaviour, he might not like it.

AndyVE

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My tank will stocked to the limit if I add two more rams (not filter capacity wise).

So hope this way my male will stop harassing my other fish and put his attention towards the two ladies.

Vyvid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AndyVE said:
Could i add a male apistogramma borelli instead (so 2 males cichlid in a 33g with a kind dwarf gourami).

or would it be better to get him 2 females?

update....figured out that 2 males is a no no.

so will see this afternoon if my LFS has two females
(for sure have a bunch of gbr when i was there yesterday)
When I was looking into apistos as tankmates for my Rams I was advised by the people at apistogramma.com that Rams and apistos don't make good tank mates because Rams need very warm water to thrive and apistos need colder water to thrive. You "could" put them together but you would be shortening the lifespan of one

AndyVE

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The people at my LFS advised me not to add new females to the tank.
He also had a pair of Ram where the female died and he was unable to introduce new femals to the tank.
His male always stressed them out too much and they died (even when he added 2 females).

Will just leave the situation as is and see if it improves.

dmccormick91

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hate to hear that. Yea I only dealt with the GBRs that one time and it discouraged me to where it will be a while before I try again. I hope he gets better they are amazing fish!

Sent from my HTC One using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom