55 Gallon Tank GBR/Bolivians

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi

I have a 55 gallon tank with 5 cherry barbs, 1 female molly and 9 molly fry in a breeder net. I really like the GBR and Bolivians and want a couple. My tank is cycled and has been steady with Ammonia 0ppm, Nirite 0ppm, and Nitrate 5ppm. My pH is 7.6.

The tank went through the fishless cycle for and has been stable for about 2 weeks. How long do I need to wait to add these guys? Also, will they be okay with that pH? Will they get along with the mollys? Are they both as sensitive or is the Bolivian more hardy? I was told that but wanted to double check with you all...

I was thinking about adding a couple guppies, and maybe a few ghost shrimp. That would conclude my stocking for this tank. Does that sound about right? Thanks!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
GBR's or Bolivians should be quite suitable for your tank. The PH is a little higher then GBR's prefer but if you acclimatise them slowly they should be fine. Bolivians are hardier than GBR's. You could probably put Bolivians in straight away but I would wait a few more weeks before adding GBR's.

Pick one or the other rather than having both species. Bolivians will probably eat any shrimp that you get & will make a meal of any fry you are not fast enough to seperate from the rest of the inhabitants. I would wait & get the GBR's myself but that's just because I like them more than Bolivians.

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
GBR's or Bolivians should be quite suitable for your tank. The PH is a little higher then GBR's prefer but if you acclimatise them slowly they should be fine. Bolivians are hardier than GBR's. You could probably put Bolivians in straight away but I would wait a few more weeks before adding GBR's.

Pick one or the other rather than having both species. Bolivians will probably eat any shrimp that you get & will make a meal of any fry you are not fast enough to seperate from the rest of the inhabitants. I would wait & get the GBR's myself but that's just because I like them more than Bolivians.
Thanks Nutter. Can I ask why you like the GBR better? Personality or looks? Just curious. Also, have you ever had an Electric Blue Ram? The looked kinda interesting...

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think GBRs will be okay in your pH, as Nutter said, acclimate them slowly. When I had GBRs they were in a pH of 7.8 and they were fine

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just like the look of GBR's more than Bolivians. I've had both though & quite like both species. I don't think there's very much difference personality wise.

I've seen the Electric Blues but never owned any. One of my LFS has some really nice ones in stock a the moment & I'm seriously debating getting a couple though. From the conversation I had with the shop owner, (he's pretty good now that I'm a regular), the Electric Blues should be treated just the same way as the GBR's. They have about the same sensitivity to water quality but with slightly stricter PH requirements, (PH 6.6-7.4).

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just like the look of GBR's more than Bolivians. I've had both though & quite like both species. I don't think there's very much difference personality wise.

I've seen the Electric Blues but never owned any. One of my LFS has some really nice ones in stock a the moment & I'm seriously debating getting a couple though. From the conversation I had with the shop owner, (he's pretty good now that I'm a regular), the Electric Blues should be treated just the same way as the GBR's. They have about the same sensitivity to water quality but with slightly stricter PH requirements, (PH 6.6-7.4).
So if I were to get the Electric Blues I would do all the same as I would for GBR? They would still work in my tank? Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it. I saw some of these at my LFS for $25 a fish, I REALLY don't want to mess up if I get one of these. They are expensive little buggers.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
$25 each is a fairly good price for Electric Blues actually. I can't get them for under $40 here in Perth. Size & behaviour wise they are identical to the GBR's. They are just a colour variant of them. They might be a little more touchy when first acclimatising them so really take your time about it. Find out from where you buy them, what the water parameters they are in are. Try to match those paramaters in a small tank & drip acclimate them to that. Over the next week or two slowly change the small tanks water parameters to match the parameters in thier permanant home. That will act as a QT period as well. It might be a good idea to treat them with an anti-fungel treatment as GBR's & I believe Electric Blues are prone to fin & mouth fungus. Even if the main tanks parameters match the water the Rams are already being kept in it would still be a good idea to put them in QT & treat them with the anti-fungal.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom