Gbr Aggression

1. Neutral-Waterinos

Neutral-Waterinos Valued Member Member

well I’m having the issue of GBR aggression in my 30 gal, the tank is heavy planted lots of hiding spots but yet there is one fella who is causing a lot of trouble. He used to be the smaller male out of two electric blue rams I bought and used to constantly get picked on by everything on the tank, but since then he’s grown up put on heaps of size and has now become the bully himself.

I’ve netted him and put him in a breeder box and then let him out again just for him to go rogue, so now I netted him and he’s in the net ‘chilling’. I’m in the process of setting up a 12 gallon tank for him to calm down a bit and for the other male to heal his fins! Cause they are very badly damaged and his ‘wife’ is the one protecting him cause he’s kinda given up it seems. But now that’ve netted the trouble causer he seems much more relax and is starting to bond with his wife again.

Well yeah Is there any thing I can do in the mean time? I’m doing a fish in cycle for my 12 gal using cycled media from the main tank. I feel kinda bad because the one causing the trouble used to get bullied a lot and I guess in his eyes it’s only fair to enact revenge. This whole thing is like a TV drama to be completely honest. First image is the 12 Gal I’m setting up btw.

(Ignore the bottle in the pictures, used for hatching triops lol)

Attached Files:

2. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Perhaps rehome the misbehaving male? How many rams are there? If it's only these 3 (2 males and 1 female) that's bound to cause some trouble because the males will fight over the female. I found they were best left in pairs :)

3. OP
    OP
    Neutral-Waterinos

Two males two females, Ye I plan to rehome the male there’s two of them right now, I’ll move him to then 12 gal and see how it plays out. But the other male which is causing the trouble isn’t fighting for females which is the odd part..

4. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Try rearranging the decor it sounds like rheyre fighting over territory. Also make sure yo7 re add them at the same time so one doesnt have time to become established.

5. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

If the first pic is the tank youre saying is heavily planted and has tons of hiding spots, it doesnt.

Too many GBR's in a small space that isnt heavily planted with tons of hiding spots is asking for trouble. They are known bullies and will pair off on their own and the aggression goes up from there. Youll need to rehome him as he isnt going to stop.

6. OP
    OP
    Neutral-Waterinos

Oh the first pic is of the tank I’m going to move him temporarily into I stated that in my post. I don’t quite understand what level of planted my tank is but I completely agree with you that the 12G isn’t heavily planted.The thirty gallon however I do believe is rather heavily planted with jars and pots along side four pieces of drift wood. The rest five pictures after the first one is the thirty gal. Yeah I agree with your statement that a tank with dwarf cichlids not planted without hiding spots is definitely asking for trouble. But I don’t think that’s the reason because I’ve only started experiencing this issue the past week or so and I’ve had them in since last year. Meanwhile the trouble maker seems pretty comfortable in the net now and he’s even eating stuff inside of it. I’ll move him to the 12G tomorrow

Thanks for ur input.