Gbr’s With Cory Cats?

JakeDfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Can I keep my three Cory cats in the same tank as my GBR’s? It’s a 20 gallon. My rams payed eggs and the ram fry are at the wrigglers stage. Will the Cory’s eat the wrigglers? Will they eat them once their free swimming? Also I’m not sure if the parents of the wrigglers have eaten all the fry or not. How many batches of eggs does it take for them to stop munching on the fry?

Whip

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Personally I would add a few more Corydoras. They are very social and do best in groups preferably 6-8 at least of the same species. A 20 gallon tank might be a little small for GBRs. From what I’ve read they are mostly peaceful but can be very aggressive when mating. They are also not an easy fish to take care of. I would make sure your tank is well established beforehand. I don’t think I’d even contemplate them without at least a 40 gallon tank. Unless you keep just 1.

JakeDfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My tank has been established for over 3 years. The rams are a pair so they aren’t aggressive. And I move them to a separate tank for breeding so no worries on aggression to other fish. I might get a few more Cory cats but I am stocking my tank with 10 cardinal tetras and one BN pleco. So I’m not sure if I have much more room for any more Cory cats. So far the rams are very healthy and doing great in the tank, I am not worried about the tank being too small as coralbandit and aquaJ have told me themselves the rams will do fine in a 20 gallon. Thank you for the advise though. I will work on upgrading the tank and getting a few more Cory’s. Thanks.

Whip

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My tank has been established for over 3 years. The rams are a pair so they aren’t aggressive. And I move them to a separate tank for breeding so no worries on aggression to other fish. I might get a few more Cory cats but I am stocking my tank with 10 cardinal tetras and one BN pleco. So I’m not sure if I have much more room for any more Cory cats. So far the rams are very healthy and doing great in the tank, I am not worried about the tank being too small as coralbandit and aquaJ have told me themselves the rams will do fine in a 20 gallon. Thank you for the advise though. I will work on upgrading the tank and getting a few more Cory’s. Thanks.
I was just offering advice based on the little knowledge I have. I spend more time reading about things than anything else. I didn’t mean to offend you or anything. I’ve been looking in to rams, specifically, for a while for the purpose of coexisting with my Corydoras Acutus. My Gh is too hard for blue rams unfortunately. I’ve read they are really sensitive sensitive to parameters. I’ve moved my attention to Bolivian rams based on what I’ve got available in terms of water without going with RO water. Out of curiosity what are your water numbers? Specifically water hardness and Ph. I’d really like to find a way for the German blues to work out.

JakeDfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No worries. You didn’t offend me at all. I appreciate the information. My PH is 7.5 and my water hardness is soft. Sorry I don’t know how hard specifically because I only have the test strips and they aren’t very specific.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom