Gawaine

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
When I went to the store on Sunday I immediately looked at the female tank but they were out of stock. So I went to the shelf where they now have bigger containers the males can at least move around in. A couple looked ill while a good handful were quite old looking. Two of these old fellows were flaring at one another. I felt badly for those but I definitely wanted a younger male this time. I was glad to have given Rusty the time he had but I wanted a chance to have one for a good while this time.

It came down to a choice between two in particular. One was a dalmation type VT while the other was a classic blue, both half the size of the old fellows above them. Both of them showed curiousity when I looked at them which made it a hard choice but I finally went with the blue.

I felt a little saddened by having to make a choice. Unlike with other fish (except possibly cichlids who are nevertheless kept in better conditions) bettas seem interested in what is going on and so I hope that the others will get good homes and care. I realize it is hard for the staff to care for every fish perfectly when there are thousands of others around them.

Anyway enough of that. The little blue fellow came home and is still curiously exploring his tank. He is very bold--he immediately began to peck at the bag to try to get out, though not crazily. He seems to prefer swimming around the tops of the plants and around the heater--he doesn't seem to be interested in the grecian ruin in his tank at all.

I like bettas who do that kind of martial pose when they pause to look at something with interest--their crest and tails flare up just a little bit as though they are ready to fight if they have to but not really provoked. I decided because of this he needed a warrior's name and so he is called Gawaine after my favourite knight of the Round Table.

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He sounds awesome and its funny that he tried you bite at the bag to get out. I am sorry you had to make a choice but it sound like you made the best choice

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am so proud of you, Poel I know it took so strength of your part but he sounds wonderful and you know we will expect pictures soon and hone that he is not going to ge camera shy.

I think this the first message I made without making a fool of myself spelling craazy.

Rose

heatmisr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new baby, Poe! And hello to Gawaine! He sounds like a handsome guy. Can't wait for picks.

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
He sounds adorable, and Dory did the same thing when I moved him into his tank... more interested in the shiny heater and thermometer than he was in the expensive tank ornaments He'll warm up to them, I'm sure. Can't wait to see pictures!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Don't you love it when Bettas act impatient? They do the funniest things when they want something NOW - like getting out of the bag and into that new betta palace with room to swim. Our 1st Betta Mario once scared us silly when we had him in a cup floating to get the cup water & tank water even after some major tank redecorating and we came over and he wasn't in the cup! .. he had jumped out into the tank.. had to have cleared a good 3" to get out of the cup.. They love space so much, I feel like breaking those tiny betta prisons the pet stores sell with barely enough room for the Betta to turn around.

Congrats on your new baby.. he's going to be a character for sure - first day and you already have a funny story about him. Looking forward to pics of him.. we saw a blue CT at the store today that was SO hard to resist.. blue is a great Betta color. Good name for him too - he's a little tough guy and maybe you can find some Betta-safe medieval decor for him.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Poe and welcome Gawaine! How do you pronounce that by the way? Can't wait to see pictures. Natalie

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone...he's still buzzing around the tank though I think he was resting on top of the veggie clip of all things for a little bit. It's pronounce GAH-WAYNE btw.

A little tidbit: Gawaine in the stories is King Arthur's cousin. Although not so great a knight in combat as say Sir Lancelot or Sir Perceval he is very brave and has a great heart. The story of Sir Gawaine and Dame Ragnell is a very heroic and romantic one in the old fashioned sense--in order to regain the sword Excalibur for Arthur Gawaine has to solve a riddle. The only person who can solve it is Dame Ragnell, who is probably the ugliest woman in Britain. He is told by her that she needs to be wed if she is to solve this riddle. Gawaine agrees to marry her. The sword is regained and Gawaine takes this 'loathly lady' back to Camelot to marry her. All the unwed maidens weep to see the gallant knight about to be joined to such a hag! However when he lifts his veil (steeling himself) to kiss her he sees that she is a beautiful lady! She tells him that she was under a curse and that only a willing bridegroom could break it.

However it does not end there...on their wedding night Gawaine is informed that she must be ugly part of the day and beautiful the rest--he must choose whether it is day or night that she is ugly. By day he might have a beautiful woman at his side to be proud of--or by night he can have beauty in his wedding bed. Gawaine however informs her that it is not his right to choose--it is her feelings that must be considered. She weeps for joy; her curse had a secret other part, and now she is restored entirely to her natural beauty because the second part requires that her husband accept her own choice.

This is an extraordinary story to me of courage and integrity--especially in that it was written in the Middle Ages. Anyway I know it may sound a little pretentious but I liked how he turned out to be a brave little fish, as though he knows it is his right to have a lot of space and interesting stuff to look at.

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
That's a wonderful legend, as you said certainly your old-fashioned "Once upon a time (and so on and so forth) and they lived happily ever after to the end of their days" kind of romantic story. I wasn't previously familiar with Gawaine. I'm a complete romantic at heart...

Anyway, welcome, Gawaine! Can't wait to see pictures. Is that name Welsh, btw?

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That sound like a really cool story. I've never heard of that story. Thanks for the pronounciation for his name. Natalie

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yea, excellent name. I've always loved the Arthurian (sp?) lore and love finding valiant heros & fighters to name our Bettas.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom