gavin

1. gavin1985 Initiate Member

i have been doing a 50% water change for the last week to get my ammonia level down but it doesnt seem to come down itss always at 0.50. my ph is always between 6.8 and 7.4 n all nitrates are always 0. any suggestions of what i can do to get my ammonia level down?

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning Gavin and Welcome to Fish Lore!:sign0016:

:animal0068:To help you to receive more responses, I have moved your thread from Using the Forum to Aquarium Water/Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle section of the forum.

:animal0068:If you would be so kind, please complete your Aquarium Profile Information. This information will aid others with any responses to your questions that members may have.

:animal0068:To access the Profile, click on My Settings in the blue bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Aquarium Info. Be sure to hit SAVE Changes at the bottom of the page when you are done.

I hope you enjoy the forum. Hold on for more responses.

Ken

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!!!

It can take many weeks to cycle a tank....as ken suggested, filling in all your info will help allot....

If you are cycling with fish, continue the daily water changes to keep the fish safe....also test your tap water to be sure you arent fighting an uphill battle...

the ph will move all over the place while the tank cycles....it will settle once that is completed :) goodluck!

4. gavin1985 Initiate Member

thank you for the help:)

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

your welcome :)

Now that we see the info, dont add any of the ph chemicals as they will just cause a drastic ph change...as I mentioned, as the tank cycles, the ph will settle itself :)

as far as cycling, its going to take allot of time with the stock you have in the 10g....sorry to say but its severely overstocked while trying to cycle it....the waste from those fish are going to keep the ammonia right up there....its not impossible, but will take weeks....dont give up :) daily water changes in a 10g shouldnt be too hard to do ....good luck!

6. gavin1985 Initiate Member

thank you

how long do you think it will take for the tank to cycle? should i clean the gravel regular aswell as water change? :)

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

No one can really give you a time frame...its going to be a tank thats always going to struggle with the large stock in there...do you think you can return the 6 male guppies for now? livebearers should be 1 male to 2-4 females...you have it reversed and the males will probably stress the females ....if you can return the 6 guppies, that should help you along ....

I would vacuum the gravel a couple times a week to help get the ammonia lower...theres going to be allot of poo from those fish....

8. gavin1985 Initiate Member

ok thank you ill try and return the guppies today and ill clean the gravel a couple of times a week