Gave In To A 24/7. Question

1. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

Have been looking at the finnex planted plus 24/7 for quite some time now and just saw that Amazon lowered the price to $65 for the 48". I couldn't pass it up since the same light at my lfs is almost $200. Was reading up on it and it seems about 50/50 on people saying its horrible and only causes algae issues and the other half says it's the best light they own. So the question is, has anyone had a chance to test this light out on 24/7 mode and does it really cause algae issues? I think that if there is a good balance between co2 light and ferts it should be fine but would love everyone's input. Thanks.

2. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

You cannot run the 24/7 on 24/7 mode unless you raise it high enough that when its at full strength its low light in the tank. Silister trech tested it and it did not work. I have it, and I can tell you why. 1) You wouldn't be able to turn CO2 on the right time, unless you somehow got something that allowed you to automaticaly ramp up and down with the light, or you'd be gassing your fish in the morning. Its a good light as its programmable lihting levels, Kelvin, ect.

3. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

I dont own that one, but I suspect the 24/7 mode is what's causing people grief. The light has been around a long time and many people have tuned the light to work well for their plants. The 24/7 mode can cause an issue of too much light, but also, a lengthy weak light period in mornings and evenings. Both of which can cause algae issues. Your suspicions are correct though. As long as the balance is mostly kept in check, algae wont be a huge issue.

4. KirkyTurkey

KirkyTurkey Valued Member Member

Thank you for the post, I didn't realize there was such a good sale going on, just got myself one as well!

5. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

Could you post I link? I can't find that deal.
    Thanks

6. KirkyTurkey

KirkyTurkey Valued Member Member

7. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

8. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the link. Just got one.

9. OP
    OP
    d

No problem. I was shocked when I saw the price.

Thanks for that. I will just program it to what's needed and leave it at that.

10. OP
    OP
    d

Just in case anyone has issues with 24/7 mode, I thought it just didn't work but it seems that the instructions are a little wrong, it says to press 27/7 button then the time of day closest to your current time then press 24/7 button to confirm the change, well if you push the 24/7 button at the end it just keeps it on max settings or whatever setting is set for your current time and does nothing. I set it up at 3pm and of course it's at max this time of day and by 7pm there was no change in brightness. If you dont press the 24/7 button a second time it works perfectly. Hope this helps others. I know I said I would just set it on max and keep it on the timer but I want to see if it does create algae in my tank. I do have a good handle on things and I dont think it will but if it does I give you all permission to say "I told you so".

11. OP
    OP
    d

So, its been a few days with the finnex planted plus and it stopped its 24hr cycle so I had to reprogram it and this time there was no change if I didn't press the 24/7 button a second time so I pressed it a second time and its working again. I hope this doesn't keep happening. I have also noticed a little algae on one of my plants, not a lot just a little at the tips of the leaves so I added some excel to see if that might help. I'm hoping that's all i will get but we shall see. Dont think its related to the light but for the last 3 days one of my cories has been acting strange, swimming upside down and laying on its side at the bottom. I did loose another cory a couple weeks ago. All peramiters are fine so I'm thinking they have just lived out their lives. They haven't grown any since I got them over 2 years ago so I would assume they were already in their adult years when I got them. The one acting funny doesn't show any signs of infection or parasites so this is my best guess.

12. OP
    OP
    d

This is how it looks now. 1527440870816.jpg

13. Lonnie

Lonnie Valued Member Member

I purchased the Finnex 24/7 CC model. The CC model allows the owner more control over programming the 24/7 mode. It was made to help prevent algae. So far I like this light. Remember the 'CC' has to be in the model name.

14. OP
    OP
    d

Ya, just got this one 3 days ago so upgrading is out of the question for a while. I really do like the idea of more control though. I will keep the cc in mind if I decide this one is not good enough, but so far its great, even if I do have to put it back on the timer and keep it on max. It really does look much better than any other light I have used.

15. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

I got the planted+ SE, strong enough that with a citric acid DIY CO2 setup and liquid ferts my plants were pearling in a couple weeks.

16. Lonnie

That is good to hear. I am sure the SE model is excellent. Finnex has sold a lot of them. I am not too familiar with the CO2 though.

17. DylanM

Basically this, with co2 grade tubing.

18. Lonnie

That is really interesting. He is creating his own CO2 with yeast and sugar right?

19. DylanM

No, yeast requires living organisms which may not be reliable, this is a chemical reaction that produces a constant rate of CO2 using baking soda and citric acid.

20. OP
    OP
    d

I did this as well but it started adding up in price very quickly. It was cheaper for me to get pressurized.