Gave birth 3 days later dead...maybe it had velvet?

DEADFISH

Reaction score
OK, well i have a 10 gallon tank fairly new, about a months old...have a filter, heater, and some plants/rocks
I have an albino catfish that has lived since my last set of fish that when i went away 5 died (all but catfish) because my sister didn't feed them or something.
Now i got 2 Dalmatian mollies, and the one albino catfish.
the one Dalmatian molly gave birth to 15 babies 3 days ago now in another tank.
then this morning when i woke up the molly was lying on the bottom of the tank.
looked like it had velvet kind of...just like gold dust but not much was on him...and he was perfectly fine until this morning when he died.
he was eating properly and everything.
PLEASE HELP ME!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You need a medication with Formalin in it and the tank needs to remain dark because this particular parasite does need to have light to grow. I am so sorry that you are having trouble and that your fish died :'(. It is always hard to lose a fish that means a lot to us.

Rose
:'(

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Velvet is a parasitic disease. It shows up by turning off all the lights in the tank and the room and shining a flashlight at the fish. If they look like they have been sprinkled with "gold dust" they probably have the Velvet parasite. The reaction is very similar to Ich. Some of the same medications and treatments (raising the temperature) are used to cure the disease.

Rose

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
oh -- good to know-- thanks-- my female that gave birth and has been sick ever since is starting to get a fuzzy eye-- i will have to try the lights out with the falshlight as others have shown some symptoms of illness and ich has cleared up-- treating again too for the cloudy eye--

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
i saw the gold dust-- i think at least-- all around the gill juncture and on the breast and gill cover-- she has also started to get ahole of fin rot i presume on her dorsal fin :'( :'( my fish are in rough shape right now-- and it makes me soo sad --

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom