Gary or Gerri? Help

1. MNfishMama Initiate Member

Not sure if the Black Mystery Snail :;snail I got for my birthday is male or female. I can tell the difference between my livebearing fish but I'm having difficulties with my snail. Can anyone help? :;dk

[​IMG]
    Nom, nom zuchini!

[​IMG]
    Taking laps around the food dish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Close up

:;thx

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Cutie! I love these little critters. :D

Sexing them seems kinda tricky from what I've read; I never want to bother them enough to flip them over and figure it out.

Love the name either way.

4. MNfishMama Initiate Member

Thanks for taking a look and the links! :;thx

The LFS told me they were hermaphrodite's and breed are their own but after some research I found out that they're NOT. Grrrr!

I was a little worried when I first got him/her thinking it was going to be a very boring pet but it was active right away and since I'm a night owl I get to see it in action a lot. I found this link from another thread on LS in case someone else has the same question.

5. rainman Well Known Member Member

My signature has a good diagram, check it out.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I was just about to post a link to one of your threads!

7. MNfishMama Initiate Member

OK, so does the penissheath stick out a lot more when they're moving along or??? :;snail

8. rainman Well Known Member Member

If you hold your snail so it does this so he/she has to stretch out of his shell to right itself. Then you should be able to get a good view under the rim of the shell.

9. rainman Well Known Member Member

Yes, thanks. I like to think of snails as my 'specialty'. :)

10. MNfishMama Initiate Member

I STILL can't figure out if my snails are male or female :;snail