Garra rufa and guppy fry

Heron

I need a new algae eater for my guppy breeding tank. As we are back under restrictions with the covid crisis I would rather not go to the shops. I have a couple of Garra rufa ( doctor fish ) in another tank which I don't need there. Could I put them in with guppy fry or will they eat them? I know they eat dead fish but will they tackle live fry?

kattiq

I would lean towards they would leave them alone. They stay near the bottom of the tank right?
Most fry hang near the top so as long as there are a lot of hiding places (floating plants, moss etc) you should be relatively fine I would think.

Upvote 0

Heron

Thanks for answering. I think I'll give them a go. I have too many guppy fry at the moment so if I loose a batch or two it won't be a problem. I'll just keep an eye on them.
I could buy other algae eaters from an online retailer I use but with a 15 pound delivery fee it's very expensive as I don't want any other fish at the moment.

Upvote 0

kattiq

Thanks for answering. I think I'll give them a go. I have too many guppy fry at the moment so if I loose a batch or two it won't be a problem. I'll just keep an eye on them.
I could buy other algae eaters from an online retailer I use but with a 15 pound delivery fee it's very expensive as I don't want any other fish at the moment.
Yeah I completely understand that. You could always try some snails instead in case it doesn't work out? Or Amano shrimp are really good at keeping things clean whenever you are able to get back out again.

Upvote 0

Heron

Update. The garras have been in the tank for a week or so and they don't seem to have eaten any fry. The bad thing is since adding them I have lost 2 adult guppies and on octo. I don't know if I have moved a disease in with them ( the tank they came from hasn't had any problems ) or if the garras have harassed these fish or if it's just coincidence. These garras are quite active unlike other types of garra I've had which hide on the bottom.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Crafty Cichlid
Replies
Views
LoLo Bender
  • Question
Replies
Views
veggieshark