Garlic?

sarahbear

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I keep reading about using garlic for immunity but i haven't figured out how to use it! Do you put the juice directly in the tank water? If so how much and do you then have to change the water? Or do you just soak the pellets in the juice and if so do you so that every night?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can use it to soak some foods in, such as freezedried bloodworms or frozen food, and/or you can put a couple of drops of garlic juice directly to the tank water. I do it once a week.

I use minced garlic (in the jars with the spices at the grocery store), but you can use fresh. My jar doesn't have juice, just the little chunks. I just take some of the chunks, put them into a (unused) cup from a Nyquil bottle, put in a bit of tankwater, and some freeze dried bloodworms. I let the whole mess soak for a few minutes, and dump in the liquid and the worms. They love the treat, and it's super healthy for them. I have tried to let them eat the garlic pieces, but they ignore those.

If you regularly feed freeze-dried foods(worms, daphnia, etc.), by the way, you always want to presoak in garlic juice or tankwater. The foods expand when they are hydrated, and you don't want that expansion happening inside the fish's stomach - it can cause bloating and constipation.

Welcome to fishlore. I hope this helps.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Many people soak the food in the garlic juice and then place only the food into the water. A few also add the juice itself.

I don't think this should be done every day. It seems most do it 3 - 4 times per week.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Sarah. With your size tank, I wouldn't add more than one drop of garlic juice directly to your tank.
Change your water as you usually do. I think you said you change it every day or so?
Since your boy isn't eating, you can soak the pellets. It might help stimulate his appetite.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lucy, thanks for pointing out the size of the bowls here...... I missed that. ops:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom