Important Garlic vs Ich

Bob79

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi, has anyone used GARLIC to treat ICH (especially in neons)? If yes, what were the results? ( I don't want to add medication as it might stress out the fish, but will use if there is no other alternative)

I recently added some neon tetra and on 4th day noticed white spots on them.
I increased the temperature to 86°F and added indian almond leaves in the aquarium.

P.S - Tank has some Discus & SAE housed with neons.

Best Answer - View MacZ's answer

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Garlic doesn't do anything. Home remedy of choice would be salt, which for one gives mixed results and secondly your discus will not appreciate.

Go with normal meds. They are safe if you use them according to instructions, they work dependably and the earlier you use them the quicker the therapy will be over and the stress overcome. After successful use, add some IALs to help prevent secondary infections.

OP
Bob79

Bob79

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
MacZ said:
Garlic doesn't do anything. Home remedy of choice would be salt, which for one gives mixed results and secondly your discus will not appreciate.

Go with normal meds. They are safe if you use them according to instructions, they work dependably and the earlier you use them the quicker the therapy will be over and the stress overcome. After successful use, add some IALs to help prevent secondary infections.
Isn't garlic an antiparasitic, also, I found some YouTube videos on treating ich with garlic so wanted to know how effective it is.

Since the neons are eating normally and also there are fewer white spots (just 1-2) than yesterday (2-4) on the fishes I was holding off on using medication.

Should I add medicine now, or is it okay to wait a day?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No problem with discus and salt. It’s actually recomended. Neons are not good in discus water. It’s to hot for them. Cardinals are what most use. Best ways to remove ick. One is to add a uv steralizer and the other is raise the temp to 86 but for discus it’s going to be 90. Change water daily while doing a gravel vacume. Add salt. 1 tbs per 10g. The heat and salt kill the free swimming stages and the vacuuming gets the eggs out. Usually takes 2 weeks to be rid of it. But the uv way got rid of mine in 3 days :). Still have to vacume.

OP
Bob79

Bob79

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
86 ssinit said:
No problem with discus and salt. It’s actually recomended. Neons are not good in discus water. It’s to hot for them. Cardinals are what most use. Best ways to remove ick. One is to add a uv steralizer and the other is raise the temp to 86 but for discus it’s going to be 90. Change water daily while doing a gravel vacume. Add salt. 1 tbs per 10g. The heat and salt kill the free swimming stages and the vacuuming gets the eggs out. Usually takes 2 weeks to be rid of it. But the uv way got rid of mine in 3 days :). Still have to vacume.
I don't have any aquarium salt right now & the LFS in my city don't keep it.. It might be a few days till I get the salt, but I fear it might be too late..

I have some ich medication with me.. should I use it now? (Please see my previous post 2nd paragraph)

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Noticed neons and white spots : Is it definitely Ich you're facing.

Again : If it is Ich heathtreatment will solve the issue on its own and there is no need for salt (most soft water fish don't appreciate and I haven't seen any proof salt does anything to Ich).

If it isn't Ich raising the temp might have a reversed outcome. Certain diseases thrive in high temps.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bob79 said:
Isn't garlic an antiparasitic, also, I found some YouTube videos on treating ich with garlic so wanted to know how effective it is.

Since the neons are eating normally and also there are fewer white spots (just 1-2) than yesterday (2-4) on the fishes I was holding off on using medication.

Should I add medicine now, or is it okay to wait a day?
Garlic is known to be an antioxidant and a bit antibacterial. I don't get how people got the idea it's antiparasitic, especially as there are so many different parasites.

The spots getting less means the parasites reproduced in your fishes skin. The dots have broken open and now far more of them are in your tank and likely already on your other fish.

How the meds work:
Ich can only be killed by any med (be it salt or something else), when outside your fishes bodies. Raising the temperature accelerates the life cycle of ich, so it get's out in the open faster.

How temperature alone works: Over a certain temp (30°C, I think?) ich dies off on its own.

It's your choice now: Meds or temperature. Or both. Neither will stress your fish more than the other.

Edit:
If you want to go for salt: Regular kitchen salt (without iodine) works (not), too. Doesn't have to be the expensive stuff from the LFS. I'm not a friend of the salt method for treatment, I only ever used it for prophylaxis.

Also, do a 50% or more waterchange before you add anything.

Renaissanista

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bob79 said:
I don't have any aquarium salt right now & the LFS in my city don't keep it.. It might be a few days till I get the salt, but I fear it might be too late..

I have some ich medication with me.. should I use it now? (Please see my previous post 2nd paragraph)

Don't know anything about fish, but I used regular sea salt to salt bath my shrimp when they had an infection. Of course they were in a small cup and only did it for 3 min max.
No ill effects. What's wrong with using sea salt? Non iodine?
Just a thought. Maybe someone here knows if sea salt is a possible substitute in a pinch.

Or would bathing individual fish separately in mild sea salt water help until you get your aquarium salt?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bob as you see there are pro and cons when medicating. Again me I use salt. Never have I used any meds. Salt without iodine is just as good and cheaper. What is the temp in your tank before this happened. Also a few pics may help. Did you quarantine the neons? With discus you must qt anything before you add to tank (even plants).

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Renaissanista said:
Don't know anything about fish, but I used regular sea salt to salt bath my shrimp when they had an infection. Of course they were in a small cup and only did it for 3 min max.
No ill effects. What's wrong with using sea salt? Non iodine?
Just a thought. Maybe someone here knows if sea salt is a possible substitute in a pinch.

Or would bathing individual fish separately in mild sea salt water help until you get your aquarium salt?
Shrimp are no fish. That's like comparing apples to oranges.
The thing with not using sea salt or iodine salt is, that the purer the form the less likely probable side effects are. Some species or groups of fish can react badly to some stuff that's in there. (And yes, it's cheaper.)

Separate baths don't do anything, as the parasite is usually everywhere in the tank before the first white dots appear. With ich the whole tank ha to be treated.

OP
Bob79

Bob79

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Update: I don't think it was Ich.. The white spots disappeared in a day & haven't reappeared till now.
But the neons are still dying & I don't have any idea why. All the other fish are doing well. What might be the reason.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
pictures may help. Neon tetra disease may be what they have. How are the other fish in the tank? The discus. Again the water is to warm for neons. May be why they are getting sick

OP
Bob79

Bob79

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
86 ssinit said:
pictures may help. Neon tetra disease may be what they have. How are the other fish in the tank? The discus. Again the water is to warm for neons. May be why they are getting sick
It is extremely difficult to get a clear picture.. but I will try
All the other fish are healthy and active.
temp is constant at 82F.
I know that the temp is little beyond what is recommended for tetras, but could that really be the reason?

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
86 ssinit said:
I don't think it's actual neon tetra disease. It's super rare and the OP would definitely have noticed the usual symptoms of that disease.

But high temperature is ideal for dozens of bacteria strains, that could kill fish. Sometimes just accelerating the infection. In combination with weakened immune response thanks to constantly high temperature - Would be the more likely explanation.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry, can't spot anything, that may not be caused by the movement in front of the camera.

New Threads