Garlic Guard Effect On Water Chemistry?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Fahn, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I feed my tanks frozen a few times a week to give my fish and inverts a healthy, high quality diet. When I thaw out my frozen I usually add several drops of Garlic Guard. Not only does this seem to help my ADF and corys locate their food more easily, but from my understanding garlic has antiparasitic and immune-system bolstering properties. However, are there any negatives to putting it in my tank multiple times per week? I've gotten into the habit of draining off the liquid on my frozen food after it thaws and I perform a 50% water change weekly.

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

No, it shouldn’t have any effect on water chemistry.

3. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

I don't think there's any long-term effects of feeding it often, as I feed my reef raw garlic once or twice a week with no boost in nitrate or phosphate.

That said, I'd say that it's very possible for fish to get dependent on it, and not accept any food without it. I'd definitely not do it EVERY time you feed.

Plus, I'm not sure I buy that Garlic Guard has what actually makes garlic healthy. I think the big contender for the immune-system boost is actually Allacin, and as far as I know, that's only commonly found in raw garlic, and is usually lost in garlic powders and oils.

It'd also be cheaper if you simply bought a few cloves of garlic, diced them up, and froze them. When you thaw your food, allow the garlic to soak with the food in tank water for 5 minutes, and then feed.

4. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

What would you rather have, a plain baked potato or one with salt, pepper, butter, sour cream and chives? ;) I don't blame them for wanting some "seasoning" lol.

I'm kidding of course. I mainly bought the GG to help my ADF know it's feeding time. My tanks are all heavily planted and sometimes I simply can't find her. I hand feed her with tongs since she can't outswim the fish and has poor vision, so her being able to know it's dinner time by smell is a big help.

My fish still accept food without it, perhaps I'll limit it's use to once a week. That's good information to know about the Allacin as well, thanks.

5. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

Yeah, I definitely don't blame them for liking the garlic! I've been known to eat a chunk or two while I'm prepping my frozen foods :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice