Gargoyle gecko humidity Question 

Snarbleglarf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello, this is my very first terrarium.
I do not have the gecko yet but I’m in the middle of building his habitat which consists of:
2” of hydroballs with screen mesh to separate substrate from hydroballs
Substrate: equal parts, cocofiber, reptibark, reptisoil, and sphagnum moss as well as maple leaves layering the surface
Plants: Prayer plant, Pothos, Dracaena Deremensis, Begonia Rex, and Peperomia Prostrata
Wood: cork tile background, cork rounds and grapevine wood
Cleanup crew: dwarf grey isopods, dwarf white isopods, springtails

I’m having trouble with my humidity I know the gargoyle gecko should be kept at 70% humidity and when I woke up this morning at 7:45 it was at 74% which I assume is within normal parameters but after I mist the terrarium it jumps to 90% over the span of an hour and has remained in the high to mid 80s for the past 2 hours and just went back down to 74% at 12pm . Is it ok for it to remain this high for that long? I don’t want to cause any respiratory issues when I finally get my gecko but I also don’t know how to control my humidity to get it and keep it where it needs to be. Also for the temperature should I be going off of the actual temperature or the “Feels like temp” my fiancé said it would “feel like” 78 degrees but I thought I needed to go off the actual temperature in the terrarium.
Any info is appreciated! Thank you!!
1B2658EF-9773-4F4B-A50E-F08A452C00DE.jpeg

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lovely terrarium :). Hope our reptile keepers can answer your questions today

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes that is totally fine :) it’s going to spike whenever you mist. Just make sure you give the enclosure time to dry out a bit before misting the next time.

By the way, absolutely love the peperomia prostrata!!! I’ve been dying to get my hands on some. In the spring would you maybe be willing to take a few cuttings and maybe do a plant swap? I’ve got quite a few plants I propagate and sell at reptile shows that you may be interested in? :joyful:

Snarbleglarf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BReefer97 said:
Yes that is totally fine :) it’s going to spike whenever you mist. Just make sure you give the enclosure time to dry out a bit before misting the next time.

By the way, absolutely love the peperomia prostrata!!! I’ve been dying to get my hands on some. In the spring would you maybe be willing to take a few cuttings and maybe do a plant swap? I’ve got quite a few plants I propagate and sell at reptile shows that you may be interested in? :joyful:
Absolutely! Do you have any tips on how to keep it healthy? I was trying to see if I can get it to grow on my back wall but it doesn’t seem to be attaching

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Snarbleglarf said:
Absolutely! Do you have any tips on how to keep it healthy? I was trying to see if I can get it to grow on my back wall but it doesn’t seem to be attaching
I’m not too sure if it would attach because I’m not sure they grow aerial roots like a pothos or philodendron does. It likes to stay damp but not soaking wet, first inch or so of soil should dry out before watering again. Likes bright indirect light (so pretty much right under a grow light is perfect). If it’s overwatered it’ll start to wrinkle or produce scabs on the leaves. I’ve seen them do amazingly well in bioactive enclosures though so I wouldn’t worry about it much. I’ve got no experience with it personally because I’ve been trying to get my hands on some for nearly a year now to add to my ridiculous house plant collection. It’s a pretty uncommon and highly sought after plant so congrats that you got your hands on one! Totally makes the set up that much more unique :)

Snarbleglarf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BReefer97 said:
I’m not too sure if it would attach because I’m not sure they grow aerial roots like a pothos or philodendron does. It likes to stay damp but not soaking wet, first inch or so of soil should dry out before watering again. Likes bright indirect light (so pretty much right under a grow light is perfect). If it’s overwatered it’ll start to wrinkle or produce scabs on the leaves. I’ve seen them do amazingly well in bioactive enclosures though so I wouldn’t worry about it much. I’ve got no experience with it personally because I’ve been trying to get my hands on some for nearly a year now to add to my ridiculous house plant collection. It’s a pretty uncommon and highly sought after plant so congrats that you got your hands on one! Totally makes the set up that much more unique :)
Thanks! I’m gonna rearrange the set up so it’s sitting in soil today I already have a really cool idea so I hope it works. If you want I can mail some to you? Just PM me on Instagram and we can work something out ( user is Snarbleglarf)

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Snarbleglarf said:
Thanks! I’m gonna rearrange the set up so it’s sitting in soil today I already have a really cool idea so I hope it works. If you want I can mail some to you? Just PM me on Instagram and we can work something out ( user is Snarbleglarf)
Thank you so much!! I totally will once the weather here warms up a little bit. I have a bunch of selaginella uncinata (Rainbow Moss) that I can send you, it does great in terrariums and also a super unique plant :) I also have a load of various philodendrons and pothos that I can send your way because they just take up space right now.

Snarbleglarf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BReefer97 said:
Thank you so much!! I totally will once the weather here warms up a little bit. I have a bunch of selaginella uncinata (Rainbow Moss) that I can send you, it does great in terrariums and also a super unique plant :) I also have a load of various philodendrons and pothos that I can send your way because they just take up space right now.
Sounds like a plan :)

Snarbleglarf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BReefer97 said:
I changed it’s locations so it should start really growing now
image.jpg

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Snarbleglarf said:
I changed it’s locations so it should start really growing now
image.jpg
I would say so! Wow! There’s so much more there than I thought. Your enclosure is beautiful, I really like that piece of wood on the right side.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads