Gardineri Breeding and Fry

Discussion in 'Killifish' started by wildatheart, Jul 13, 2015.

1. wildatheart

wildatheart Valued Member Member

So I've noticed my Gardineri Killies breeding recently, been feeding them lots of live bloodworms and they are super fat and frisky.
    Have not seen any eggs or fry but I need advice on what to look for and what to do if I see them.
    There's a bunch of Java moss and I'm hoping maybe it will provide a cover for fry, but I realize that they might not have anything to eat unless I separate them and feed them separate food.

Any advice would be great.
    Here's the setup.
    There's 3 males and 3 females.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436774730.416186.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436774744.242365.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

The adults will actually largely ignore the fry so there isn't much to worry about on that front.

However you may want to remove the fry as you find them so you can keep them sorted by size. Otherwise the fastest growing fry will start cannibalizing their younger siblings.

3. OP
    OP
    wildatheart

Good to know!

Also. This may be important:

Will snails eat the eggs??

There's lots of plants and such for them to eat, but will the seek out the eggs and eat them??

4. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

What kind of snails?

5. OP
    OP
    wildatheart

You can kind of see them in the photo there's a few big ones that look like garden snails, then a bunch of tiny ones that I think are pond snails

6. Wendigoblue

Wendigoblue Well Known Member Member

Nice tank! What size is it?

The snails look like golden mystery snails and pond snails to me.

7. OP
    OP
    wildatheart

It's a 24 gallon bow front

I'm considering removing the snails because I heard they can eat the eggs if you're trying to breed

I'm trying to breed the Gardineri I have in there

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice