Garden Soil Substrate

StickyRice

This is my first time trying a planted tank and I wanted to know if eco-complete or garden soil would be good. I found a brand that I've heard is okay for aquariums but I'm not if it is. The brand is miracle gro organic and natural potting mix with nature conserve. I'm planning on having 2" of the soil with a 2 1/2" pool filter sand cap. I'm also going to be putting osmocote capsules into the substrate. My other question is does the soil break down over time? I don't want a planting substrate that I have to replace every year and that's why I'm asking.

Mudminnow

This is my first time trying a planted tank and I wanted to know if eco-complete or garden soil would be good.
Yes. Both can be good. I find plants grow much better with garden soil, but it can be messy if you're the type that wants to replant your plants all the time.
I found a brand that I've heard is okay for aquariums but I'm not if it is. The brand is miracle gro organic and natural potting mix with nature conserve.
As far as I know, that's a good one. Just avoid those that have added fertilizers.
I'm planning on having 2" of the soil with a 2 1/2" pool filter sand cap.
I think the sand should not be quite that thick. Shoot for about and inch.
I'm also going to be putting osmocote capsules into the substrate.
This is what I do. It works for me.
My other question is does the soil break down over time? I don't want a planting substrate that I have to replace every year and that's why I'm asking.
Yes, it breaks down but not not that fast. You can have it for years without needing to replace it.

StickyRice

Yes. Both can be good. I find plants grow much better with garden soil, but it can be messy if you're the type that wants to replant your plants all the time.

As far as I know, that's a good one. Just avoid those that have added fertilizers.

Yes, it breaks down but not not that fast. You can have it for years without needing to replace it.
Thanks a lot for the help. I really appreciate it

Can I ask how often you change your osmocote root tabs? Also, how long exactly does the soil last?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
WateryDreams
Replies
Views
Backblast72
Replies
Views
Ambie
Replies
Views