Garden Hose Safe?? 100 Gallon Tank 

  • Thread starter

ColumbianShark3

Valued Member
Messages
473
Reaction score
2
Points
113
Experience
5 to 10 years
I need to fill my indoor pond it's 100gal and I have a garden hose connected to are city water supply right outside my window, and was wondering if it would be safe to feed it through my window and use it to fill the tank up ???
 

platy ben

Well Known Member
Messages
2,659
Reaction score
17
Points
133
Experience
5 to 10 years
I use my hose too top up the pond all the time so I can't see why not?
 
  • Thread starter

ColumbianShark3

Valued Member
Messages
473
Reaction score
2
Points
113
Experience
5 to 10 years
K I will probably let it run a bit so any junk gets cleared out
 

platy ben

Well Known Member
Messages
2,659
Reaction score
17
Points
133
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would check with other members first though as I live in the UK so the water my be different.
 
  • Thread starter

ColumbianShark3

Valued Member
Messages
473
Reaction score
2
Points
113
Experience
5 to 10 years
k
 

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Messages
39,060
Reaction score
337
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

I always get my tank water via the water hose, however, I have well water and not city water. If you have fish in the pond now, take into consideration the temperature of the pond and try to match the temperatures. hoto:

I'm sure you'll get more responses.
Ken
 
  • Thread starter

ColumbianShark3

Valued Member
Messages
473
Reaction score
2
Points
113
Experience
5 to 10 years
aquarist48 said:
Hello,

I always get my tank water via the water hose, however, I have well water and not city water. If you have fish in the pond now, take into consideration the temperature of the pond and try to match the temperatures. hoto:

I'm sure you'll get more responses.
Ken

No fish yet just now getting it set up
 

cm11599ps

Well Known Member
Messages
1,153
Reaction score
44
Points
143
Experience
More than 10 years
That depends.

1) If are setting up the tank and need an easy way to fill the tank with water then yes, a garden hose is fine.

2) If already have the tank setup and are looking to use the hose for water changes and to top off your tank then no, the hose is not a good idea for a tropical tank. The water would probably be too cold to add to your tank. You want to add water that is about the same temperature as your tank.


If #2 is what you're trying to accomplish then I HIGHLY suggest you look at getting the Python. It's the best way I've found to clean and fill my tank. It attaches to MOST sink faucets.
 
  • Thread starter

ColumbianShark3

Valued Member
Messages
473
Reaction score
2
Points
113
Experience
5 to 10 years
cm11599ps said:
That depends.

1) If are setting up the tank and need an easy way to fill the tank with water then yes, a garden hose is fine.

2) If already have the tank setup and are looking to use the hose for water changes and to top off your tank then no, the hose is not a good idea for a tropical tank. The water would probably be too cold to add to your tank. You want to add water that is about the same temperature as your tank.


If #2 is what you're trying to accomplish then I HIGHLY suggest you look at getting the Python. It's the best way I've found to clean and fill my tank. It attaches to MOST sink faucets.
it's #1
 

cm11599ps

Well Known Member
Messages
1,153
Reaction score
44
Points
143
Experience
More than 10 years
Then you're good to go with the hose. Just make sure it's not all dirty and makes your house a mess. lol

Either way, I still suggest the python. lol
 
  • Thread starter

ColumbianShark3

Valued Member
Messages
473
Reaction score
2
Points
113
Experience
5 to 10 years
cm11599ps said:
Then you're good to go with the hose. Just make sure it's not all dirty and makes your house a mess. lol

Either way, I still suggest the python. lol

I will look in to the python soon for future water changes
 

cm11599ps

Well Known Member
Messages
1,153
Reaction score
44
Points
143
Experience
More than 10 years
ColumbianShark3 said:
I will look in to the python soon for future water changes

Good choice. I got VERY lazy with my water changes in my 55, especially since I have a full wooden canopy.

Now thqat I have my python I do weekly changes.
 

gremlin

Well Known Member
Messages
3,286
Reaction score
82
Points
143
Experience
Just started
I use the hose (on city water) to top off and do water changes in my pond. Of course, my pond is outdoor, not indoor and for goldfish, not tropical fish. I don't have to worry about trying to heat the water since the water coming out of the hose is at least as warm as the water in my pond (sometimes warmer). I also use the hose to do water changes in the 40 gallon breeder tank my cleaning crew are in right now. I wait until it is late afternoon on a sunny day and the water coming out of the hose is usually right about 70 - 76 degrees so it is pretty close to the 72 - 74 range I try to keep the tank at in the house. I just crank open the window by the desk where the tank is sitting, pump out the water through the window into a garden, and then refill with the hose through the window. It works pretty good. Just make sure you add your water conditioner...
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom