Gar in tank at LFS?

Shawnie
I hope everyone had a great long weekend!!

I went up to Northern Maine to visit family...but.........

I had to get some flowers in a shop for my moms resting place..and low n behold, the local flower shop bought all the fish and supplies from the local fish store next door as they closed up business!!

we walk through the door and my girls go "OH NO GET MOM OUT, THERES FISH HERE ALSO!!!!" I was like come on girls, we need flowers and I'm not here for fish....(following me I'm sure fishlorians)

this poor lil fella, was in with a baby gar, and a huge angelfish...in a 20 gal tank!!! knowing the info about all those fish from here, I talked to the owner and informed her that none of those fish would survive with the gar...(where in the world she got a gar that far north, I have no clue)

she did move the angel, (which I'm sure will go back in there after I left, but I at least felt better knowing I tried to educate her) who I would have taken also if I wasn't having angel issues already, but said the betta would be fine as they played together all the time...(what kinda play? catch me if you can and ill eat you??) grrrrrrrrrrrr...

Not sure this lil guy is going to make it, because hes a bit bloated and has just hung out at the top of the tank pretty much...but I'm working hard on it and hoping for the best...

to be totally honest, I needed another betta like a hole in the head but I couldnt leave him and sleep sound at night knowing he was spending his days running from that gar....keeping lots of fingers and toes crossed!!

angelfish220
hes so pretty!!! I would have done the same thing! *Sending good healing vibes ( and nonstress vibes) Shawnies way* Good Luck!

shellbell4ever
OMG Shawnie..He's Beautiful!!!I hope he recovers for you Have you picked a name yet?What a great rescue story!!!Pat yourself on the back ok You did a Great Thing!!I hope everything works out for you both.

Shawnie
ty gals...I wasn't looking for pats (although those always make anyone smile) but ill take the good vibes for sure!!! this poor fella still looks stressed...he must have "gar" nightmares!!

no names yet as I'm really not sure he will make it...but I'm workin hard on it

just some fish ppl shouldnt have fish! as well as many other things in life that some ppl shouldnt have, whether it be dogs, cats, kids, etc....its just frustrating knowing I have enough betta's but this guy needed an out..

Alessa
Wow Shawnie... Congrats on your rescued baby boy!
I would call him Sunshine! ;D I'm sure he will recover on the hands of a caring mom like you!

Martinismommy
Shawnie, he is REALLY a nice boy! What a beautiful color and he has a gorgeous long tail....He doesn't appear sick in his photos...What are you treating him with? I really like this boy! He is so lucky you found him....

I'd name him "Shawnies Golden Child" and call him "Eddie"

Shawnie
Shawnie, he is REALLY a nice boy! What a beautiful color and he has a gorgeous long tail....He doesn't appear sick in his photos...What are you treating him with? I really like this boy! He is so lucky you found him....

I'd name him "Shawnies Golden Child" and call him "Eddie"

ah MM, do I even dare to ask how you came up with "eddie" out of that? still!! gosh I love ya chickie!!!

are you into the sauce again? LOL

thanks for the compliment tho..and I'm treating him with all the 3 miracles I live by, vita chem, garlic, and fish protector with daily water changes...but I also started him on a piece of pea as his belly looks bloated to me...hes only been with me since yesterday so ive just started with a piece of pea today...but doing his water changes daily..his fins are great...its his scaredness that I'm afraid of...

thanks alessa!!

EDIT: NEVER MIND MM....I GOTCHA EDDIE MURPHYS GOLDEN CHILD....<--brunette moment!!!

Martinismommy
Shawnie...You know I don't drink lol.....

I'm glad you finally got it! Geeeeeeeeeeze you must have thought I had flipped my lid lol

tzqng8
Good job Shawnie! He's gonna make it, I can feel it. Think of a good name. He'll need one soon.

Shawnie

I'm glad you finally got it! Geeeeeeeeeeze you must have thought I had flipped my lid lol

ah NEVAH!

<--looks up and whistles!!

and yes I thought ya flipped it for sure LOL

tz, thanks darlin!! but I'm still thinking of a "kilt bet" ;D

tzqng8
Hahahaaha. No comment.

And I told ya, it's Thomas. Come on, it's in the signature! LOL

Shawnie
Hahahaaha. No comment.

And I told ya, it's Thomas. Come on, it's in the signature! LOL

brunnette moment THOMAS!

Tazmiche
Great find!!! love rescue stories. Name wise, 'Fate' 'jewel' 'Lucky'

fishonthebrain
oh I love him. hope everything goes well. I know I'm showing my ignorance but what's a gar?

chickadee
A gar is a horrid fish that feeds on other fish just about every one it comes in contact with. They are like nasty little pirhanas with hundreds of needle sharp teeth and are vicious creatures. I am amazed the other fish lived 10 minutes. She needed to be reported to the ASPCA or worse the Sheriff.

I love the new little guy and I think "eddie" fits him very well. If he makes it you may be able to send his picture to Eddie Murphy and get an autographed picture. I hear if you tell stars you name your children after them they do that >>>>>hehehehehehe.

Spose it would work with a fish?

Rose

ShaynaB
He's gorgeous! He's a very lucky boy to go home with you. I'm glad you got him out of there!

I like Eddie, as well. He's a cutie! Haha

hockeyref88
Your the bomb Shawnie.........................Its almost like all us fishlorians need to own fish stores............... Just to rescue all these darn betta's. It would sure be a lot easier if they could be in the same tank together. He looks pretty good from the picture's and your magic 3 will probably do wonders. If anyone can save him your the one.

Martinismommy
Rick...

I have dreams about them all being in the same tank and how simple my life would be lol...The best part would be not having to explain why I have SO many tanks!

Yes, Shawnie is the perfect lady for the job of saving "Eddie"

capekate
HI Shawnie..
Just came across your thread on the new lil boy! He is handsome for sure! I love his coloring.. and he does look healthy to me too! What a great save!
Congrats... ;D

voiceless_kat
ah MM, do I even dare to ask how you came up with "eddie" out of that? still!! gosh I love ya chickie!!!

are you into the sauce again? LOL

EDIT: NEVER MIND MM....I GOTCHA EDDIE MURPHYS GOLDEN CHILD....<--brunette moment!!!

Geez I drink and I got it............. And I am blonde...

Great save Shawnie....one huge deposit into the karma bank for you. He is a beauty, hope he makes it ....... he will not believe his good luck at being with you!!!

Val

Shawnie
A gar is a horrid fish that feeds on other fish just about every one it comes in contact with. They are like nasty little pirhanas with hundreds of needle sharp teeth and are vicious creatures. I am amazed the other fish lived 10 minutes. She needed to be reported to the ASPCA or worse the Sheriff.

I love the new little guy and I think "eddie" fits him very well. If he makes it you may be able to send his picture to Eddie Murphy and get an autographed picture. I hear if you tell stars you name your children after them they do that >>>>>hehehehehehe.

Spose it would work with a fish?

Rose

only you rose!!

this town is so in the back woods, the nearest spca is 3 hours away...I called my sis last nite and made her go into the store...the gar now has a huge tank and is by himself...whether or not it stays that way, who knows...my sis asked about the gar and the woman did say she was trying to set something up to send him to an aquarium down in MA somewhere...who knows...maybe it was total noobness and she really had no clue..she is after all a flower shop owner not a fish store...hmmm

the lil guy is still with me..he had 3 blood worms today...and just a small piece of pea the last two days..so far so good....writing my letter to eddie murphy as we speak LOL

Lucy
Eddie is a beautiful fish. Great save Shawnie! He must be so grateful to you for rescuing him from what could have been certain death. You're an :;a

Shawnie
thanks lucy!!!!! hes still alive but still so very skittish...guess I'm not use to a betta being afraid of me...hopefully in time that will change...poor fella...

MissMTS
Congrats on your save!!! I am so glad that you took him and gave him a happy home He sure is a cutie

Shawnie
wish I could say he was happy tho...maybe hes more afraid of me than the gar...ty for the nice comment tho

MissMTS
He'll get used to you. He is probably so skittish because of that stupid gar in the tank with him

Shawnie
gosh I sure hope so!!!!!!!! I'm not sure if I should leave him be for a few more days or surround him with me...id pick him up and smother him with huggles if I could LOL

MissMTS
I know To bad fishies have to live in the water!!!

Sprinangl2
ohhh, he's ADORABLE!!!!!! that was a really great save! (and now I know what the heck a gar is- YAY!) I think Eddie's and awesome name, and I hope he gets over his gar-induced nightmares!!

Devon
Congrats on your unexpected rescue! He's really lovely -- what a pretty colour! I hope he's feeling better soon.

Eddie is a great name! ;D

Alessa
a gar on an aquarium... gosh that's akward.
it'll be ok shawnie. I'm sure that lil eddie will soon start showing some love for mommy... when he figures out there is no more gar... poor thing.

0morrokh
Wow glad you rescued the poor guy. Is he doing better?

Martinismommy have you ever worked with horses??

MinxMermaid
awe what a great save shawnie

he's a lucky little dude!!!

my lemon was a little skitish, then I put a blood worm on the tip of my finger a few times and let him eat off my finger, then he learned those are the fingers that feed him, not hurt him. now he comes right up to me and does kissy lips and blows bubbles whenever he sees me.

COBettaCouple
I'd like to report that ignorant woman too!

Congrats on the rescue! ;;wv I hope that he's doing better.

Shawnie
hes still totally skittish of me...but hes doing well...as far as I can tell...the woman as my sis says is in the process of getting rid of the fish all together I guess...time will tell...ty everyone for the nice comments

Martinismommy
Wow glad you rescued the poor guy. Is he doing better?

Martinismommy have you ever worked with horses??

Not sure what you meant by worked with horses but the answer is yes.....I showed horses for 20 years...English jumping and barrel racing ...If you meant have I photographed horses the answer is also yes......It's been a long time ago though.....(you know I'm really old right lol)

Why do you ask?

Shawnie
The golden child aka "eddie" is doing a lil better...I had to resort to a mirror for a few minutes just to get him out under the table LOL ...but he did come out last nite to eat...heres some shots of the shy guy

COBettaCouple
drool Wow, he's a handsome Betta! ;D

Shawnie
TY!
I think he still has his "gar" memories!

either that or he is looking for leftovers under that table all the time!

Fishies-for-me
I will send my little golden girl Crystal over to visit him....lol. He won't even remember what a gar is then!! Pucker up handsome.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lissi Kat
Replies
Views
Demeter
  • Poll
Replies
Views
DanielleFish
Replies