Gallons?

1. Adz Member Member

Hey there,

i'm totaly new to this tropical fish hobby and am a little confused about gallons. i'm from New Zealand so i'm use to reading letres. can you please explane how many gallons there are to a letre.

could you also please explane the meanings of herbivores and all those sort of words you use for each fish?

cheers,
    Adz.

2. Jason Well Known Member Member

3. fletch Member Member

where abouts in new zealand are you from? Im going to martinborough for a year in january. a whole year of summer!!! ;D

4. fletch Member Member

please tell me you dont use kilometres over there cuz i dont think ill be very favourable with the police

5. Adz Member Member

Cheers for that link.

what sorta fish do you have in your aquarium?  I've started off with the Zebra Danio's like it says on this website. I got 6 of them.

Adz.

6. Adz Member Member

Hey Fletch,

I Live in Christhcurch and yes we do use Kilometers, sorry to break the news to you like that lol

what sorta fish are you hobbying?

7. fletch Member Member

Oh balls!! will have to get used to that then, at least your petrol is cheap!!
    I have:
    3 dwarf gouramis
    3 baby dwarf gouramis(2 months)
    1 male sword tail
    3 female sword tails
    2 black widows
    1 demasoni
    1 female guppy
    2 silver tip tetras
    3 harlequin rasboras
    1 peruvian ram cichlid
    1 sucking catfish
    2 white cloud m.minnows
    5 peppered corys
    4 bumblebee gobys
    and a recently widowed dwarf aquatic frog

what do you have?

8. Adz Member Member

you've had your tank for a while then lol

I've only just had my tank going for bout 3 weeks, so i've got 6 Zebra danio's but i'm soo tempted to get more of them.
    I love watching them swim in their schools.

Petrol isnt that cheap over here. where bouts are you on the globe? how much is petrol there?

9. fletch Member Member

Im from Corwall in England. I heard it was dead cheap over your way. Im paying 89 pence litre at the moment which is about 2.28 NZD. so have i got my hopes up on that then? how much is it?

10. Adz Member Member

you'l enjoy your holiday here then, its $1.40 here ;D

11. Jason Well Known Member Member

Ours is $1.20 in Australia and I got:
    2 Lyretail Swordtails (1male 1female)
    1 Reg. Swordtail
    2 Guppies (1m 1f)
    1 Cory Sterbai
    1 Red-tail Shark
    2 Dwarf Gourami
    2 Anglefish
    1 Chinese algae eater
    1 Bristlenose catfish
    1 Synodontis Eurptus (Feather fin Catfish)
    6 Neon tetrasl

12. fletch Member Member

ouch. thats cheap. weve got it bad here then!! whats a cory sterbai? is that a corydoras species?

13. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Right! Who's up for mass emigration to NZ then? I'll be going there one day - just gotta get over my addiction to visiting south africa :-\ I've made a breakthrough though - I'm going to Canada this year instead Woohoo!

14. fletch Member Member

thats a good idea! Im getting a house here and one somewhere in wairarupa so hopefully if i go back and forwards every six months i'll have an eternal summer!!!! ;D

15. Adz Member Member

Good Thinking!!

If you do make it to christchurch let me know :)

16. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Bundle over to Fletch's house then! :D Got any space in your suitcase? I'm a bit bored of this eternal rain... I'm all bundled up in my winter clothes with heating on and it's meant to be summer!! :'(

17. fletch Member Member

You should all head down to cornwall then. its tropical down here (well its pissing it today).

18. Craig Well Known Member Member

i mean is it just me fletch! is winter comin early its freezin over here in NI!!! :'(

19. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Defo bundle down Fletch's house then! ;D Lucky thing... its very cold in Norwich tonight :-\

20. Adz Member Member

Fletch's house it is then, its winter here too :-\