Gallons Per Hour Claims

1. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Found this on another forum, and I found really interesting! The OP said I could kid nap it, so here I am! =D

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzo...our-and-other-fairy-tales/page__fromsearch__1

I'd love to hear you're all's thoughts on this! =D

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

We all know that volume of media is what's important - that can't be fudged ;) Filters with higher GPH claims generally hold more media, which is always a good thing. But the bottom line is this - 0 ppm is 0 ppm. If you have good water parameters and you're happy with the results, that's all that matters.

3. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

You know I always have wondered if the flow rates were accurate. I guess you never really know. I guess Jaysee is right, it is the 0 ammonia and the 0 nitrite that really matters.:;rocker

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Figures you'd the first to post here :p

I just thought the whole 'false claims' thing was interesting. If thats really true, then it just goes to show how important it actually is to get the proper sized filter, that says it does 10x's the amount of what ever your tank size is, because you never really know if they're going to be pulling your change, and it really only does like 5 or 6x's.

5. STLBluesFan Member Member

if that is true it would be very interesting.

6. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

The "false claims" thing is really common everywhere. From cereals and soups claiming to lower your blood pressure to bagels claiming to be "blueberry bagels" (which they rarely actually are), those sorts of claims aren't regulated by any organization, so Cheerios is free to say their cereal lowers your blood pressure, when there isn't any research proving it has.

My boyfriend is actually taking a class called "Fluid Mechanics," I should ask his opinion. However, I think Jaysee hit the nail on the head; if your water is of good quality then that's all that matters.

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

You should ask him, that'd be neat to have "professionals" :)p) opinion.

So, umm... What is in blueberry bagels, if its not actually blueberries?? o_O

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If the AC110 only does 50 gph, then that means that the smaller units do significantly less than that??? since the motors are significantly smaller. I don't buy it. I think the slam against the motor size is bogus too. That's a big motor - on par with the size of the motors of the canisters I use.

9. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

And this is why I wanted to post this here =3

I don't really have an opinion on this matter, other than knowing that companies make stuff up and exaggerate all the time. I'm just curious to see what you all think.

10. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

False claims abound everywhere. From aquatics to reptiles to alternative health products. It can get pretty crazy.

11. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I work for a company that makes electric motors, abigger motor doesn't always mean more power.

12. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd take that link down, simply because Cracked.com uses "bad words." I've got it opened in another tab, though, so I'll take a look lol I like them, though, but they aren't FishLore friendly.

Certainly not.

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

That's true. All things being equal though, bigger generally means more power, right?

The size and number of fins on the impeller have a lot to do with it too.

14. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I've been wondering the differences between impellers since my Eclipse System 3 filter went all wonky and didn't work until it took a 10 hour car trip. But now that you say that, I suppose that does makes sense.

15. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Oops :eek: All gone. I love that website too, I can get lost for hours on it. So much good information.

But anyway, a bit off-topic; my apologies.

16. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Maybe you could do the same ;)

17. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Also has to do with the grade of steel the inside componets are made of. To a extent bigger should be more powerful, but evrything is being made smaller and more effiecent, including electric motors.( I should add that none of the motors my company makes go into fishtank filters to my knowledge, that would be wayyyy overkill, and verrrrry expensive)

18. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm getting there, I'm getting there! :)

19. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Oh jeez, what have I done... :)

20. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Bad Kine, bad! :p