gallons and sizes?

jenniwren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So i have a 29 gallon hex that i am in the process of cycleing. once it is cycled how many angelfish would be best? i would love them to mate but do not ever want an overstocked tank (even to make a pair) how many would be right for my tank?
Sizes.. ive seen (sm,md,lg) on angelfish tanks... i was kind of sceptical.. are there really different sizes of angels or will they all be about the same when fully grown? THANKS IN ADVANCE

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is it the tank with the danios in it? Are they staying once the tank has cycled? If they are, I personally wouldn't get any angels, because from personal experience, I had the fins of my angel nipped from 4 regular zebra danios. It may be different with you. Like I said, I personally wouldn't get any, but just wait and see what other members have to say before making a decision.
Tom

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the zebras attacking them or not, because i don't have any zebras. I do know if they're adults, they might end up turning on the zebras and eating them.
As for size, Angels can get pretty big, 6" or so..
I wouldn't get more than 2 adults or 4 young ones for a 29 gallon tank. And if you get a few young ones, be prepared to put them in a bigger tank once they get big.

jenniwren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
thanks. yea i wansnt planning on keeping the danios because i just want angelfish( a fantasy of mine ). so i think 2 also would be just about right. keeping them in threes? is that okay for angels or just pairs?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Two angels in that size tank will be fine, I really wouldn't do three. Angels have a habit of picking on the odd man(or woman).
Carol

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I read if you want them to pair off, you might have to get 3 or 4 little ones, because it's impossible to sex them young. Then when they pair off you seperate the ones them from the rest. If you buy just 2 you might get 2 males or females, or you'll get lucky and they'll be male and female...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom