Galaxy Rasboras?

1. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Also called Celestial Pearl Danios ...

Thoughts on stocking in a community tank?

I currently have

4 Swordtails
    2 Platys
    6 Guppies
    6 White skirt tetras (most are glo)

38 gal tall
    Live plants
    Floramax bio gravel

I was reading up on them and one article said they weren't suited for the community tank but I saw them recommended on here the other day. Also, a stocking app gives them 2 gallons each but they only get about an inch long at most.

I was thinking of ordering 10 and being slightly overstocked. I have a 20 gallon also set up so I could always move some fish around if it gets too crowded.

2. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Could you link that particular article for us? I'm curious about it

3. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

It's old, as it seems like most articles on the fish I find are ...

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/celestichthys-margaritatus/

And now some other threads I'm finding have been fine adding into community tanks and one even said they were able to stock 2/gallon since they were so small. I'm just confused and don't want to stress everyone out but I really want some of these guys after seeing some in the store today!

4. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Aas long as they are at all temp compatible and you lots of hiding places i think they could work as community fish. My only concern would be swordtails get pretty big and might eat the little guys

5. SmilingJocker Member Member

They are kind of shy so add long as they get something to eat from the other fish they'll be fine I think...

6. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

As far as I can tell they are temp compatible. I know the swordtails can get bigger so I'll just have to keep an eye on them. So far they are all pretty small.

7. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Somme never get that big but I've seen 4 inches listed as the max and seen males that were 6 including their swords at my lfs. Once they get past about 3 inches I would start worrying about 1 inch fish

8. Grimund Well Known Member Member

The article is just stating the shyness of the fish. Easily out competed for food and will spar among themselves. Large numbers are recommended to spread any aggression. Small so keep them away from fish who like to snack on stuff.

They are small, but sensitive, like a cardinal tetra, which is why a larger tank is recommended

9. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

So, in your opinion, do you think I could add 10 to my current set up and be ok?

10. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I personally wouldn't, they're a shy fish to start with & the fish you already have can be nippy at times so they may hide a lot.
    They're beautiful fish but really best kept with other small fish, I kept mine with embers & aspidoras

11. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Agree with Coradee (again and again hahaha).
    I kept them and bred them. Though they can be kept in a communitytank they certainly need their personal space and certainly no nippy / bouisterous fish around.
    Besides of that there are a lot of issues (getting sick and thin lately).
    A shame cause they are awesome fish.

12. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

No one else has mentioned it, but the livebearers you have all need hard water, while the CPD/Galaxy Rasbora prefers soft, acid conditions. I also agree that they would not do well with the aggressive swords, or even the Skirt Tetras, which can get 3 inches and can be quite boisterous.

13. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

We naturally have softer water but I was given the all clear from the pet store ... i haven't received my gh/kh kit yet.

14. Grimund Well Known Member Member

I agree with Coradee as well.

Peaceful fish that won't nip or are very active. Nothing that gets over 2" ideally.

15. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Well ... i really want them so I may just have to put them in my second tank!