Galaxy Rasbora (Celestial Pearl Danio) Compatability

1. C

Canadian Fish Valued Member Member

Hi, my LFS got some of these in today, and they're on sale this weekend. I was wondering if I can add 5 of them to my 20 gallon tank, which now houses:

3 Platies
    3 False Julii Corys
    2 Guppies (long story)
    2 Dwarf Gouramis

I've read the Galaxy's are very timid so I wanted to make sure none of these tankmates will be too boisterous for them.

Thanks!

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi,

Your Dwarf Gouramis would definitely eat the CPDs. I wouldn't get any. They do best in species tanks as well so I wouldn't try to add them with any kind of tankmate, other than small inverts.

3. OP
    OP
    C

Am I correct in assuming they would also eat neon tetras?

4. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

DG's should be ok with neons.
    Watch for nipping from both them.

I would be wary of having 2 DG's in a 20. They're cute but can be aggressive/territorial with thir own kind.

5. OP
    OP
    C

I'll keep a close eye on them. I'm surprised the girl at my LFS didn't warn me against getting two. Unlike some LFS's, they're usually actually pretty good at helping me avoid such incompatibilities.

6. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, I didn't know if you knew that or not so I didn't mention it. I would really try to rehome the smaller DG. Usually they are okay for the first couple of months and then they go berserk and kill everything. Not a pretty sight. I've seen it happen over and over.

A DG might nip at Neons but they won't really eat them. You need to watch out for aggression from the DG no matter what fish you have.