Gainsborough seeks early release

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
But he's not getting it!

We're scheduling ourselves to bring GB out of the dark sometime Saturday morning.  Though he still seems to have a rusty color on his head, the Mrs. claims he looks much better.  It's really hard to tell, though, he is still in a pretty dark environment.  But from what I can see, he looks much healthier.

His behavior is much improved, too.  He seems much more curious about things now.  Often, while doing water changes, he ends up in the glass being used to extract the water from the tank and on one occasion ended up in the bucket of dumped water.

The plan is to keep doing daily water changes and keep him on the CopperSafe for another week.  If things are still going well, his 21-day course of treatment will be over and we should be able to stop the CopperSafe and proceed with the Bio-Spira.

Thought I read somewhere here that Bio-Spira lasts 60 days if it remains refrigerated over that time.  We got ours on December 12, so we should be within the expiration period if the above goes as planned. 

Once the Bio-Spira's been administered, water changes will need to be stopped for a week.  Is this a good time to replace the charcoal filter?

Mike

ETA:  Gainsborough has been in a darkened Hex 5 since 12/22/06 for treatment of velvet, re:

OP
L

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
Thanks Natalie. While we wait, we're looking to hear some good news about Mr. Red!

Mike

AesSedai

Reaction score
I second what Natalie said Mike.

WTG GB!  

Only 2 more days to go.  I'm happy for the lil guy.  

Not even time off for good behavior huh Dad?

Dang you drive a hard bargain

Yeah, yeah, it hurts you worse than it hurts GB, I know, heh.

(((GB)))  

Peter243243

Reaction score
Gainsborough head towards the light! ;D

After a few weeks light may scare him. (I think)

OP
L

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
It does hurt me more than him, AeSedai, but it's for his own darn good.  And, Peter243243, that's a thought.  Maybe we should get GB some cheap sunglasses.   8)

AesSedai

Reaction score
LOL..cheap sunglasses.

If so, take a pic! Hahaha (photoshop not allowed, GB hasta actually have em on)

Be sure to glue on some ears first.

;D

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
You might seriously just want to gradually introduce him back into the light. Take a piece of whatever itis covering him off a little at a time. You don't want him to have a relapse if he gets too much of it at once. I would hate for you to go through that again. It's such a long process. It's just an idea. He's your little guy, so you do what you feel is best. I know you are anxious to take him out. Natalie

OP
L

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
nmwierman1977 said:
You might seriously just want to gradually introduce him back into the light. Take a piece of whatever itis covering him off a little at a time. You don't want him to have a relapse if he gets too much of it at once. I would hate for you to go through that again. It's such a long process. It's just an idea. He's your little guy, so you do what you feel is best. I know you are anxious to take him out. Natalie
I absolutely agree, Natalie.  Hope I didn't send a bad message joking about cheap sunglasses.  The plan is to be very careful about his exposure to light right now.  His initial exposure to the environment will be much like one of us humans leaving a dark theatre to walk into the bright sunlight.  I'd hate to see him freak and start doing something kooky due to stress.  We're also thinking of a darker location in the house to put his tank while the remaining days of his treatment come to an end.  He has a chance right now of having a good life.  If we can avoid a relapse, that's the road we plan to travel.

Mike

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just keep the blinds shut for a couple of hours and he should be fine.  Fish that are shipped in dark boxes are fine with just an hour of acclimation to dI'm light to get used to it.  I am not saying to turn on the tank lights, room light only the first day and then after that all the light is fine.  He can come out tomorrow or Saturday with no problem, the dark has done its job and the Coppersafe will finish what ever is left.

The carbon has to be back in the tank for a good 24 hours before adding the Bio-spira.  There cannot be any medication in the tank when the Bio-spira is added.  The refrigeration life for it is 6 months so you are well within the limit of its usefulness.  It will have the tank safe for him in 24 hours after adding it to the tank, but the ammonia will not be in any way toxic in that period of time.  I will give you fair warning that there is going to be an ammonia spike but it will not hurt him, and there will be a nitrite spike but it will not hurt him.  This will happen in the first week and will scare you but it is just the Bio-spira settling into the filter.  Just do not panic and change the water or you will slow the cycle down or stop it entirely.  It is absolutely necessary NOT to do a water change for 7 days after adding the Bio-spira.  It will be okay I promise.  I have done this many times and will be doing it again twice in the next couple of days so please trust me, I would not do this to my babies or recommend you do it to yours if it was not safe.

Rose

OP
L

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
chickadee said:
Just keep the blinds shut for a couple of hours and he should be fine.  Fish that are shipped in dark boxes are fine with just an hour of acclimation to dI'm light to get used to it.  I am not saying to turn on the tank lights, room light only the first day and then after that all the light is fine.  He can come out tomorrow or Saturday with no problem, the dark has done its job and the Coppersafe will finish what ever is left.

The carbon has to be back in the tank for a good 24 hours before adding the Bio-spira.  There cannot be any medication in the tank when the Bio-spira is added.  The refrigeration life for it is 6 months so you are well within the limit of its usefulness.  It will have the tank safe for him in 24 hours after adding it to the tank, but the ammonia will not be in any way toxic in that period of time.  I will give you fair warning that there is going to be an ammonia spike but it will not hurt him, and there will be a nitrite spike but it will not hurt him.  This will happen in the first week and will scare you but it is just the Bio-spira settling into the filter.  Just do not panic and change the water or you will slow the cycle down or stop it entirely.  It is absolutely necessary NOT to do a water change for 7 days after adding the Bio-spira.  It will be okay I promise.  I have done this many times and will be doing it again twice in the next couple of days so please trust me, I would not do this to my babies or recommend you do it to yours if it was not safe.

Rose
Thanks Rose!  I didn't know whether or not the meds needed to be cleared before adding the Bio-Spira.

What seems to be evolving here is that, after GB comes out of the darkness and until the day the Bio-Spira is added, daily water changes will be needed.  And, between 24 and 48 hours before adding the Bio-Spira, the CopperSafe is to be discontinued and a new #5 filter is to be inserted.  No Amquel+ can be used due to it's nullifying effect on ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates (I'm just about to run out of Aqua Plus but will be shifting over to Stress Coat) for water changes, which will be put on hold for seven days after adding the Bio-Spira.

I'm not sure I'll even check the water parameters over the seven days following the addition of the Bio-Spira.  And, if all goes as planned, we'll start doing normal water changes after that.  It's been so long, I don't even know what normal water changes are.  I guess it's near time for me to start brushing up on my test kit skills.  

I think Gainsborough will be glad to get out in the light.  More than that, though, it seems he'll enjoy watching things that are going on.  He sure has been friendly when I've worked on his tank changing water and all.  He doesn't mind me touching him and he's not afraid to get right up there when I'm doing a water change.

Time to go feed the little guy (and the cats, too).

Thanks Rose.

Mike

OP
L

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
nmwierman1977 said:
Good, I'm glad you see things my way!  Just kidding. Joking aside you are doing the right thing.Natalie
ROFL

Mike

OP
L

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
Peter243243 said:
LZ Floyd said:
nmwierman1977 said:
Good, I'm glad you see things my way!  Just kidding. Joking aside you are doing the right thing.Natalie
ROFL

Mike
What is ROFL?
ROFL=Rolling on floor laughing.   Natalie's statement that she's glad I see things her way was funny.  ;D

Mike

Peter243243

Reaction score
Oh, I need to get a dictonary of things like this (I asked for omg, and rofl so far)

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There is one on Microsoft somewhere and I need to use it now and again....I am totally computer illiterate... :

Rose

OP
L

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
There are quite a few acronym dictionaries available on-line. You can google an acronym just as quick as referring to a dictionary, though.

Mike

New Threads