Gainsborough might be sick

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh my goodness Rose! How painful! :-[ My foot is throbing just thinking about it! I hope it feels better very very fast for you!

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh, Rose, that's bad news.  Timesdragonfly's right, that hurts just thinking about it.

Sounds like some hot soaks and a Tylenol or two are in order.  Sure hope you get to feeling better.

Mike

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Gainsborough is now in the dark.  We went through the whole process late in the afternoon yesterday at a time when darkness would have occurred naturally.  It was hard to resist wanting to take a peek after he was descended into his new non-luminous existence, though.  We thought he might try to eat his other fin or something.

So far, things seem to be going well.  GB surfaced for something to eat when we removed his light hood this morning (we couldn't see him at all through the open feeding door).  And, after eating, he blew us a few bubbles before we had to darken his world again.

I started readying his aquarium about 2 PM yesterday after deciding on a couple of things; specifically, how to try to mitigate the water flow from the aquarium filter and how best to isolate his tank from the light.  The water flow problem was dealt with using filter fabric (thanks Phloxface), and it was decided to put his aquarium in a black trash bag when enough water was extracted to make it easy enough to move.  Then, his aquarium was lowered into the original box. 

After quaffing the filter flow, GB seemed to perk up a bit, maybe even to the level he used to be active.  He did have trouble going after some frozen pea bits, though, something he'd not had a problem with two days earlier. And, his appearance was still that of an unhealthy fish; he'd lost even more color.

I didn't want to shine a lot of light on him this morning (after all, this is a treatment of darkness) but did get a brief look at him using a flashlight.  He does appear to look less rusty.  Though it could be wishful thinking, he did seem a bit healthier looking. 

We'll be counting down the days now to January 5, 2007 when Gainsborough might be able to come out into the light.  Too bad he'll have to bring in the New Year this way, but, with luck, he'll have a happier 2007 for it.

We at the Gainsborough residence thank everyone for their well wishes and great advice.  A special hat's off to you Rose for everything!  Though we'll be lurking on the forum and posting about things, we also want to take this time to wish everyone Happy Holidays.

Mike

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh I am so glad that you are seeming to be totally on top of this. It sounds like he is in the best of conditions and I am sure that taking the top off for a few little minutes at feeding times and to change water is not going to cause a big problem since you have the Coppersafe in the water. The water changes will in fact help to remove some of the parasites when you change out the water but the temperature of the replaced water is very important as if the water temperature drops by much and takes too long to reheat the parasites that are in the water yet will resettle on him and it all starts over again. He can take temperatures of up to 85 so it is best to make the refill water just a tiny bit (up to 84 or so) warmer out of the tap when you run it to account for cooling while you drain the tank. He will have the oxygen being pumped back into the tank by the airstone to keep his oxygen level up and I would leave the feeding door open if you have the top of the aquarium covered loosely with the black plastic to let the water cool a bit if it is warmer than the 82.5 or you could check before you pour it into the tank and see what the temp is in the actual container you will be pouring from and it is great anywhere between 82 and 83. I know I am being obsessive but I really want this to work out for you and him. It is so obvious that he is LOVED and he is such a darling blowing bubblenests for you to show you he LOVES you too.

I will anxiously awaiting January 5, 2007 as well. There are no sick bettas on this Board that I do not worry over and no anxious Betta parents that I do not feel for. I will send many prayers for GB and for you as well as for all the little Bettas on this Board and the Betta Parents who are their loving caretakers.

Take care of yourselves as well as him, I know that you have worked very hard on his care and it is time to take some time for yourselves as well. Have a Glorious and Wonderful Holiday.

Rose

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Rose.  When it comes to calling the shots, I'm deferring to you and the good folks at fishlore.com.  I'm just doing the legwork.

With the process of replacing most of the aquarium water before dosing the tank, there had to have been some water temp fluctuations.  The tank temp as of this morning was near 86 degrees, so, I started reducing it.  Hopefully, I can get it between 82 and 83 degrees and sustain it there for the duration of the treatment.  It's not bad to shoot for those numbers considering that measuring devices like thermometers are not necessarily accurate.  I'm using two of them to try to get the best average.

Everything else seems to be going as planned.  Now, it's time for a Christmas movie and a little rest.

Happy Holidays, all!

Mike

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Happy Holidays ((Mike and GB and Mrs. Mike)). Mike, you sure have gone the extra mile for your lil guy. You're so on top of all of this. You're such a good Betta daddy!

Enjoy your well earned down time, your Christmas movie and the holiday season Dear One

I'll have GB in my heart, thoughts and prayers, for sure!

Namaste,
Karyn

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Also keep in mind that the tank is Very Well insulated being inside the box so that could be a part of the higher temperatures. He will be fine. If the temperature becomes a problem just take the light part off the top of the tank and cover the top of the box over lightly with a black garbage bag like a flap for a while. (draped over not stuffed over the box) Sorry if I am being too simple here but I am sleepy and kind of brain dopey.

He can tolerate the 86 with no problems as long as he has the airstone but just not for days so I am glad you are watching the temps.

I agree you have gone the extra mile and you and the Mrs. and GB all deserve a rest and a movie. The day will come when he will watch them with you . (mine are watching the end of the Parent Trap now)

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am so glad that you have everything under control now. It's such a good sign that he is blowing bubble nests for you. I'm sure it's his way of saying "Thank you for taking such good care of me and making sure I get through this.  I love you daddy"  

Mr. Red and I hope that you enjoy your down time with your family. We also wish you a very Merry Christmas and Wonderful, healthy and happy New Year!!
                                                 Natalie

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone.

Just a quick Gainsborough update.  His water parameters were bad enough for me to give him a 40% change today.  He'll get that daily for the duration.  GB's eating well and after each meal he blows us a few bubbles.  He's got to be bored silly, so, we visit him three times a day through the light hood to help keep his spirits up.  And, we talk to him whenever we walk by (quite a bit actually as he is located in the middle of all daytime activity).

Now that I can look at him from above, I see that his eyes protrude from his head.  So, I googled popeye to see if I could get some pictures to make a comparison.  I'm guessing that Bettas eyes do protrude somewhat and Gainsborough's eyes don't look too different from the normal ones in the the pix I saw.  Nonetheless, I backed down the volume of air coming from the airstone (one site mentioned that popeye, usually a symptom of something else, could be the result of over-aeration).

Overall, he does seem to be in good spirits.  Maybe he knows it's Christmas Eve. 

We wish everyone a great holiday!

Mike

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just had to check in before I take a little while off tomorrow. I am so glad he is doing okay.

He is going to be so glad to see everyone when he gets out of his little confinement but it is really the best thing for him right now and it is helping him to rest up so he will be able to recuperate from not being well. If he were in the light he would feel the need to be active and moving constantly and this will keep him calm and healing. He is eating well so he is not depressed or unhappy. He wouldn't blow bubbles for you either if he were upset.

Every day that goes by is one more day that he does not have to be in there in the dark and since he will get a daily water change now he will have a good time for a few minutes with you... . I really admire the work that you all are going to for him.

The pop-eye is something that you do not need to wonder about. Believe me when they have pop-eye you KNOW it. The eye looks like it will pop right out of the socket and can look very cloudy. He can be getting over aerated and turning down the air will not hurt as long as the temperature has come down from the 85 or 86 you spoke of. At 82 all the aeration that is needed is enough for the bubbles to be seen raising to the surface not to roil the surface or cause a lot of surface movement. The largest bubbles making it to the surface should be about the size of a pea.

My little ones have turned in for the night already. I read them the story of the Nativity and they watched "the Santa Clause" and they had supper and now it is lights out. It has been a big day for them, Santa came early and everyone got to watch Animal Planet all morning. Tomorrow everyone has water changes....oh goody!!

Merry Christmas and have a Good Night.

Rose

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
It's been four days since the last Gainsborough update, so I thought it was time to post.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas (or whichever holiday is yours).  Ours was very nice.

Gainsborough seems to be on the mend.  He gets a 40% water change daily and he seems happy to get the visits we give him.  Up until yesterday, I was using a siphon hose to take out the two gallons of water that get replaced.  But, it was really hard to get a siphon going with the aquarium nested in it's original box.  So, I started using a 12 oz. glass to remove the water.  Today, while emptying out the water to be replaced, I found GB in one of the glassfuls about to be dumped.  He's really become interested in all the activity of water changes and chasing bubbles from the airstone.  Today he got close enough to end up in the glass.

He seems pretty active and it will be nice to see how he's doing once he's brought out into the light.  That won't be for a while, though; he's not scheduled to make his next daylight appearance until January 5, 2007.

Mike

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am so glad to hear that GB is doing better. You will have your beautiful lively betta back before you know it. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He sounds so naughty... : ;D...always a sign that they are on the mend...I am so happy for you.

I have NO doubt that the Coppersafe will do the trick and the added insurance of having him in the dark, although it is hard to do and very difficult to bear, will help all the more. It will take away all chance of the Velvet parasite being supported by the light. You will all be glad for the extra effort.

GB is starting to be more active because he doesn't realize it but he feels better and as he does he will be more of a handfull. It is so great when they get just rotten spoiled because that is where the personality starts...hmmm. Wonder what your little boy is going to be like???? We are looking forward to stories... ;D...and pictures.... ;D

Good to hear that you had a fine holiday. It was good here too and now I have two new fishies to spoil (in the Loaches section).

Happy New Year and keep us informed on your progress.

Rose

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm soooo glad to hear that your little one is doing better!

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am also very happy to hear that Gainsborough is doing better. He will be so happy when he is well enough to be in the light again.

CherryRose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom