Gainsborough, fin eater

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
Gainsborough has done it again.  Looked in his tank last and there he was swimming weird with a fin hanging out of his mouth.  After a quick clean up, I was able to reach in with both hands and gather him up in my palms.  He wrestled around a bit, which dislodged his fin.  He seems okay this morning, but it's too dark for damage assessment.

His analfin and tail still show signs of fin rot and we're clearing his H-tank for a run with trisulfa.

Some stations here are warning of a significant ice storm (right now it's 11 degrees and raining  :-\), so I've retrieved our big cooler from storage and have it out to warm up in case we lose power and have to put him somewhere to keep him and his tank warm.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Mike

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If he's eating his fins, my best guess is he's bored. Try giving him something else to do, like a little floating ball to play with (too big to swallow of course), or turn on a tv in the room, or something. Intelligent animals will sometimes develop detrimental habits if they don't have something to keep them stimulated.

Well, hope that helps a little and Happy Valentines Day!

OP
L

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
I'm not sure why GB started gnawing on his pelvic fin, nor do I know why he did it the last time.  The Kritter tank he's been in has been void of anything but a heater and a sponge filter and is in a kind of out-of-the-way area.  But, there usually is something going on to keep his attention: Cats running around, people walking by, people coming to visit him.  And, the two times he's done it have both been within a half hour of folks interacting with him; the last time not long after his being fed.

He's now back in the Hex 5 with a plant and a decoration.  Hopefully, it will be easier to treat him there as well as give him some reasons to not eat his fins.

Mike

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Maybe he's not happy about something. When I had Mr. Red in a 1 gallon before I found out that he should be in a bigger tank and warmer one, he used to do that. That's how his tail got so bad. He continued to do when I first moved him into the new tank , but after a while stopped. Maybe he was mad that he was in the criiter keeper instead of his other home adn that was his way of telling youhe was unhappy. That's how Mr. Red told me. He was happy for about 2 months in the 1 gallon and after that he no longer like it.He let me know by biting himself. Just a thought. Natalie

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
GB sounds like quite the character. Hopefully he will wise up and stop putting himself on the dinner menu. I sure hope the meds work for you.

CherryRose

OP
L

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
I could see him being bored and unhappy.  He's been in a box no bigger than 9" x 9" x 9" with not much to do but sit on a sponge filter or look at the occasional cat coming by to see what's swimming around.  I visit him pretty often, but he still has a lot of time to sit and look at the same wall day-in and day-out.  Hopefully, he'll give up the fin-eating practice now that he's in the Hex.

Mike

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Poor little guy, he has had quite a time with everything and you are so great with him. It sounds like a great way to get attention but kind of drastic. I hope having him back in his big tank with his things will help. They get so tempermental and moody sometimes and he is probably not sure why he was in the Kritter Keeper since he did not feel sick. It may have felt like a punishment for something and he was stressed.

You are one of the best betta parents, so patient and kind to him and he is so fortunate to have you. It is obvious that he has formed a bond with you and cares a lot about all of you, even the cats.

Good luck with the new medications.

Rose

heatmisr

Reaction score
Just when you think you may have it licked.....GB strikes again... I'm sure it is frustrating to have a fish you are trying to cure of fin rot sabotaging his own treatment. Maybe you can give him a couple more plants and/or another decoration. You might not want to put him back in the Kritter Keeper for his trisulfa treatment.

Nicole

New Threads