Fyi: Reducing Flow With Fluval Fx6

redman77

I wanted to reduce the flow of my Fluval FX6 on my 75 gallon but had difficulty figuring out how to do it. I saw some contradictory posts about how and whether to do it, and whether it would damage my motor. So I reached out directly to Hagen and asked them. Here is what they told me:

• The Aquastop valves (they connect the hoses to the canister) can be used to reduce the flow;
  • Both the intake and outtake valves should be closed an equal amount when reducing the flow;
  • There are 10 marks on the valves from highest flow to lowest flow. Each mark you go down reduces the flow by 10%;
  • DO NOT reduce the flow by more than 50% or it can damage the motor.
I hope someone finds this helpful!

Tanks and Plants

I have also talked to Hagen to find out about doing this and got the same answer. The question I have is if this is safe with other filters such as the Eheim classics or Fluval 06 and now 07 models.

This is great post because I know there are a lot of people who use the FX series filters and it gives an answer straight from the maker themselves. Great Job redman77 !

redman77

I have also talked to Hagen to find out about doing this and got the same answer. The question I have is if this is safe with other filters such as the Eheim classics or Fluval 06 and now 07 models.

This is great post because I know there are a lot of people who use the FX series filters and it gives an answer straight from the maker themselves. Great Job redman77 !

Thanks

NavyChief20

So...reducing the flow on the inlet valve is a colossally bad idea. NEVER throttle the inlet side of a pump. This will cause damage. You will cause fliw restrictions in the pump leading to cavitation and erosion of the impeller. Throttle the outlet if you must but not the inlet. Throttling both does not make it better on the pump.

Similar Aquarium Threads

90 Gallon Tank Fluval fx6 as pre filters
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
Lacey D
Replies
Views
FoxxCAN
Replies