fx5

chrisw1639

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just got the fx5 today and i'm getting ready to set it up to cycle on my 75 gal. tank. because my 220 gal . will be here soon , I do plan on running it for a month on the 75 gal. ? is what is the best way to set up the fx5

Danni

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you mean the media or the canister itself as far as the intake and outflow?

chrisw1639

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
yes media sorry about that bacause i'm not woried about the carbon right now i got biomax in the middle and polishing pads on top. is that right and what could i use on the bottom??? thanks

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Most of the feedback I have read on the FX5 suggest that due to its insanely high water flow it is best to leave out any kind of polishing material - it gets clogged way too quickly.

Most (and I personally) just fill the baskets with various forms of bio media, and leave the sponges on the outside to do the mechanical filtering for us(me). You don't want to be pulling that thing apart every week to clean clogged floss/pads...
I would suggest running a secondary canister or filter that you can put your polishing media in and you can also use this for carbon if/when necessary. That way you only need to rinse the outside sponges on the FX5, and you always have an undisturbed bacterial colony.

Hope this helps.

Angel eyes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
the media for your bact. should always be in the top most..so the water that gets to it is clean and it don't get clogged up with junk.
polish pads should be in the bottom tray..thou I wouldn't use them if you don't have to. You should of gotten a cd that shows you what order to put things in..

Danni

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have the FX5 and filled it with Biomax, Bioballs would work as well. I definitely wouldn't run the polishing pads or floss unless you want to open that beast every week or so- he is right on that.

I have run Carbon in it to clear some water from Driftwood tannins. It's no big deal to change the carbon since I open all my Canisters for cleaning every month anyway.

If I remember right- Fluval says to run Carbon on the bottom, Biomax middle and Polishing Pads on top but you will be cleaning all the time on those.
Just keep it simple with this filter- it works well.

chrisw1639

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
thaks every that's what I needed to know, nutter I will be getting the eheim 2217 in april. the guy at the shop gave me the polishing pad, they will be gone, my water is very clear so I'm realy after bac. my new tank will be a 210 ordered it yesterday .

chrisw1639

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
nutter I will will be getting hold of you when that eheim 2217 gets here in april , I liked what you told me bout them so I know you can give me all the information I need on the filter . right now had to much money going out on the 210 and stand & fx5 to buy all at one time. you think a month will be long enough time to get instant cycle

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
chrisw1639 said:
nutter I will will be getting hold of you when that eheim 2217 gets here in april , I liked what you told me bout them so I know you can give me all the information I need on the filter . right now had to much money going out on the 210 and stand & fx5 to buy all at one time. you think a month will be long enough time to get instant cycle
Hi Chris,

I have never used eheims - just AquaOne (which are rumoured to be manufactured from the same company) and the FX5. I can appreciate blowing all your money on the tank; I just redid my 180 from the ground up and the only thing that stayed on the tank were the lights...

There are plenty of members that use eheims and will be better placed to advise on the best media configuration.

A month should be long enough to seed your FX5, but it depends on the bioload of the tank it's seeding on and the tank it's moving to. If the stock will stay the same, I'd say a month is perfectly adequate. If you intend to stock the 210 pretty quickly, I'd be wary of mini cycles.

Hope this helps.

chrisw1639

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm sorry my mistake, nutter not bubblynutter thats who had the eheims. but yes the bioload will stay the same for 3to 4 months, then I might add a couple fish .

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom