FX4 maintenance - dangerous mistake

Dechi

I did my first ever maintenance on my FX4 today. I’ve maintained many brands of canister filters, and this one wasn’t much different. Everything went well, except at the complete end of the process. I had tied all the white screws by hand, and was ready to bring the filter back inside when I noticed the cord was at a weird angle.

It was sitting at a 90 degree angle on the side of the canister, near the cover. I grabbed it to pull it down but it wouldn’t move. I looked more closely and noticed it was caught under the lid. I had inadvertently caught it there while tightening the white screws !

I unscrewed everything and got it out. The plastic of the lid dug in it and there were small indents in two places on the cord. I’m very lucky it didn’t go through deep enough to get the wires. I’m also lucky I caught it. I can’t imagine what might have happened if the wires had been exposed and in contact with water.

I have to admit that’s got to be in my top 5 mistakes !

What are some of yours ?

Pfrozen

Cleaning a topfin impeller. I tried to install it upside down after and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't fit. Ended up smashing it together a bunch of times in rage mode. Realized my mistake, bent it until it was straight again, and the thing has worked fine since lol

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Not putting a drip loop in a chord. Fried my light and scorched the wall behind the tank. It could have been worse but I definitely learned a very valuable lesson. This happened many years ago but it is lesson if once learned will never be forgotten.

Upvote 0

Dechi

Not putting a drip loop in a chord. Fried my light and scorched the wall behind the tank. It could have been worse but I definitely learned a very valuable lesson. This happened many years ago but it is lesson if once learned will never be forgotten.

Oh yeah, those are important. I’m always looking at my cords, making sure the loops are still there, as if they are living things, lol !

Upvote 0

Redviper

My biggest recent tank error was simple, but expensive. I decided to buy a wavemaker for the added features over my circulation pump. I went with the second best reviewed unit. Since I ran the unit long enough to develop an opinion on wavemakers I voided the return period. Of course I found the AAA unit would have been better in many ways and should have bought it in the first place. The wife noticed how unhappy I was, and decided to buy the AAA as a surprise. She did, and I quickly found out that it was almost 3x the price of my initial purchase. Ouch!

No one died because of my trying to save a bit of cheddar, but I did learn to go for what I REALLY want, if possible, and save on feeling stupid later.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
  • Question
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
MacZ