Fuzzy white stuff on substrate?

1. Kasye

Kasye Valued Member Member

Just today I noticed this sudden development of strange fuzzy white mold-like stuff in my 3 gallon tank. The tank currently has a ton of plants and a few trumpet snails, no other inhabitants. I've been supplying ammonia to cycle the tank with fish flakes.

Parameters (I'm cycling the tank right now):
    Ammonia - 1.0
    Nitrite - .25
    Nitrate - 5

Ammonia is higher than the last time I tested (it was .5 yesterday) which leads me to think it might just be rotting flakes, but I wanted to ask in case anyone had any other thoughts.

The purple-ish thing in the image is just a small piece of quartz, and the white clump is a piece of cuttlebone. The issue is the fuzzy stuff between them.

image1 (16).JPG

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It probably is just a bacterial mat feeding on the fish flake residue. For some reason rotting food always grows that white hazy stuff:)

3. Charles556

Charles556 Valued Member Member

What you've described does sound a lot like fungus. Have you been throwing the flakes directly into the tank and letting them sink to the bottom? That could explain why you're getting this growth.

4. OP
    OP
    Kasye

Kasye Valued Member Member

Aah, thank you, I was hoping that's all this was, but I've never observed this in any other tank I've cycled with this method before, so I was getting concerned!

Yep, that's what I've been doing!