Fuzzy white spot on cory

Jakkie

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 20g long
How long has the tank been running? 2 or 3 years
Does it have a filter? tidal 35 hob and 2 sponge filters
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 77
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 10 corydoras, 4 female bettas, 3 snails

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? weekly
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? prime & stability
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? api test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm ( planted tank so i never have nitrites or nitrates)
pH: (lost the ph test)

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? daily
How much do you feed your fish? 3/4 sinking wafers
What brand of food do you feed your fish? hikari
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? a year ish
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? a week ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? fuzzy white fungus looking stuff on gill plate area
Have you started any treatment for the illness? yes polyguard
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? swimming in the mid column of the tank today

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now

a week ago i noticed a smaller version of this on one of my schwartz cory. I told my boyfriend to treat with polyguard but found out yesterday that he only put it in once so i started over yesterday with one tank treatment and will do every 3 days for 2 weeks. Today i noticed the affected cory is swimming in the mid column of the tank and hovering in odd places, hence why i was able to get decent photos. what is this and is there anything else i should be doing? I dont have the means to quarantine it at the moment but so far nothing else in the tank has anything

IMG_20210412_191051574_2.jpg
IMG_20210412_191213524.jpg

Masspanic

If you can’t quarantine, can you buy or make a little isolation box for within the tank? Quarantine is really important here. I had this on one of my pandas a while ago—I only quarantined him a few days after noticing because I couldn’t get the other tank set up and he ended up dying and another cory got it a week later (not that that’s guaranteed to happen just saying be careful and isolate if possible). It’s going to spread faster in warmer water like 80F so if it’s around that I would lower it a bit if you can do that safely. Disinfect things like nets and anything else going into or out of that tank. More frequent water changes with vacuuming, maybe add aquarium salt that can buy time to treat it I think. Watch out for behavior changes from any of the other fish. I don’t know much about the medication you’re using but I’d just make sure it specifically says it treats cotton wool disease (or one of its other names) or gram negative bacteria. Best of luck, hope your cories recover!

Upvote 0

Kathylee

I've been dealing with this on my cories! Or something pretty similar anyways. I tried salt, extra WC's and Indian almond leaves later on I tried maracyn. The only thing that worked for me was API Furan-2 & Kanaplex in the food. The combo of both. Mine were getting red blotches & fungus. It wiped out half my stocking. Today was my last day of medicating. If the fish only had a little bit of fungus the meds I used helped clear it. But every time it became larger it killed the fish. I'm sorry your going through this.

Upvote 0

Jakkie

I've been dealing with this on my cories! Or something pretty similar anyways. I tried salt, extra WC's and Indian almond leaves later on I tried maracyn. The only thing that worked for me was API Furan-2 & Kanaplex in the food. The combo of both. Mine were getting red blotches & fungus. It wiped out half my stocking. Today was my last day of medicating. If the fish only had a little bit of fungus the meds I used helped clear it. But every time it became larger it killed the fish. I'm sorry your going through this.
Thank you, this cory passed away the night I made this post. I'm still treating with polyguard but am keeping an eye on the tank so far no one else has it. I have kanaplex on hand so I'll try that. Thank you again, sorry you also dealt with this

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Josh10
Replies
Views
betta06
Replies
Views
Motherlovebetta
Replies