Fuzzy white growth on Angelfish

jtm6813

Hey guys,

About 15 minutes ago I was just looking in the tank and noticed that one of my angels had a white fuzzy growth on its dorsal fin (pictured below). Its a 75g with 4 angels, 6 rainbows, and 4 corys (and live plants). I just noticed this for the first time today and I usually watch the tank multiple times/day.

I have tried searching on google to figure out what it is and as of right now my best guess is cotton fin. I am scared there will be more of this fungus in the tank. I increased the temp of my 75g to ~82 degrees, should I also treat it with some salt as a preventive remedy? or maybe pick up some medication at the LFS? Since it has appeared on one fish, does this mean my other fish will develop this fungal growth as well unless the entire tank is treated? I checked my water all parameters look good, I am doing weekly water changes and regular upkeep with my canister filter. The tank has been running smooth for about 8 months now.

I added the angel to a 15g quarantine tank, increased the temp to 82 degrees, and added some salt. I noticed when I scooped the angel out of the 75g the white fuzzy fell off the dorsal fin and upon further inspection there appeared to be more spots on its body. About 2-3 other areas. I moved the fish as soon as I noticed because I read that cotton fin is highly contagious (if that is what it is).


FCBAF016-0008-4020-AAD2-D4514DD95E27.jpeg

Thanks
 

StarGirl

I would start with salt baths. Not putting it in the big tank.
 

Kjeldsen

Could be that one fish is compromised in some way, hence the opportunistic mold, and better off treating it separately.

WATER MOLDS

Water molds are one of the most common infections of freshwater fish - far more common than true fungal infections. Typical water mold infection (Saprolegniosis) presents as a relatively superficial, cottony growth, usually beginning as small focal infections that can spread over body.

Skin wounds caused by mechanical trauma, immunosuppression, or other pathogens provide a portal of entry for water molds (Tiffney 1939a, 1939b; Scott and O’ Bier 1962). Common secondary invaders of wounds initiated by other pathogens (e.g., bacteria, parasites). In summary, the clinician should always look for other initiating causes when water molds are identified in a lesion.

TREATMENT OPTIONS

Most fish-pathogenic water molds are inhibited by even low prolonged immersion salt concentrations (>3 ppt), which is probably why they do not affect marine fish in high salinities (see PROBLEM 35). Prolonged immersion salt also helps to counteract osmotic stress caused by skin damage and subsequent ion loss.

Severe cases can be treated with a fungal medication containing malachite green, copper sulfate, or Potassium Permanganate baths.

Noga, Edward J.. Fish Disease: Diagnosis and Treatment (Kindle Locations 5777-5778). Wiley. Kindle Edition.
 

jtm6813

Could be that one fish is compromised in some way, hence the opportunistic mold, and better off treating it separately.

WATER MOLDS

Water molds are one of the most common infections of freshwater fish - far more common than true fungal infections. Typical water mold infection (Saprolegniosis) presents as a relatively superficial, cottony growth, usually beginning as small focal infections that can spread over body.

Skin wounds caused by mechanical trauma, immunosuppression, or other pathogens provide a portal of entry for water molds (Tiffney 1939a, 1939b; Scott and O’ Bier 1962). Common secondary invaders of wounds initiated by other pathogens (e.g., bacteria, parasites). In summary, the clinician should always look for other initiating causes when water molds are identified in a lesion.

TREATMENT OPTIONS

Most fish-pathogenic water molds are inhibited by even low prolonged immersion salt concentrations (>3 ppt), which is probably why they do not affect marine fish in high salinities (see PROBLEM 35). Prolonged immersion salt also helps to counteract osmotic stress caused by skin damage and subsequent ion loss.

Severe cases can be treated with a fungal medication containing malachite green, copper sulfate, or Potassium Permanganate baths.

Noga, Edward J.. Fish Disease: Diagnosis and Treatment (Kindle Locations 5777-5778). Wiley. Kindle Edition.


Thank you so much! I am doing some more digging now, I just freaked out and came here and posted as soon as I could. I guess it was a panic post. Thanks again!
 

StarGirl

You are welcome. All I did was google it...lol
 

Kjeldsen

No problem. Just realized it doesn't really say how much salt to use, but I think 1 teaspoon per gallon would be a good start, and see how it goes. Good luck!
 

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
2
Views
122
AT12
Replies
1
Views
177
EmbersToAshes
Replies
3
Views
146
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
2
Views
3K
AquaLady
Replies
2
Views
82
CindiL

Random Great Thread!

New Fish Disease Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom