Fuzzy Spot On Tip Of Betta Fin

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know I have posted a lot on my Betta in the past few days and I was worried he has fin rot and I have been doing daily water changes and he seems to have whitish tip and the end of his tail but there is one spot on his bottom fin that is fuzzy and white at the very tip. I was wondering if anyone knows what this is and if there is any way to treat it without spending a lot of money.
Here is a picture (the best I can get, I can try to get better ones)
Image1526417230.266219.jpg

Image1526417319.419811.jpg

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have recently posted about my Betta a lot, I am new to keeping one. He is in a 5 gallon with heater and filter and the tank is cycled. I recently been giving him salt baths to help the fin rot and I just noticed this white (sometimes looks brown) spot that looks kind of fuzzy on the tip of one rays (I think that’s what they are called). He has white tips on the end of his tail from new fin regrowth but this spot doesn’t look like it. I also have BettaFix but I haven’t used it yet. Here are the best pictures I could get.
IMG_5504.JPG

IMG_5544.JPG

Attachments

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
w_johnson07 said:
I have recently posted about my Betta a lot, I am new to keeping one. He is in a 5 gallon with heater and filter and the tank is cycled. I recently been giving him salt baths to help the fin rot and I just noticed this white (sometimes looks brown) spot that looks kind of fuzzy on the tip of one rays (I think that’s what they are called). He has white tips on the end of his tail from new fin regrowth but this spot doesn’t look like it. I also have BettaFix but I haven’t used it yet. Here are the best pictures I could get.
View attachment 439349
View attachment 439350
You may as well go ahead and add the bettafix. The quicker you start treatment the better. For future reference, they're are better meds to use. I've heard that bettafix is made from some sort of plant extract that leaves a thin oily film on the surface. Of course that will go away after treatment with water changes. API fin and body cure may be better next time. I've used bettafix before and didn't notice a film, but Ive seen several posts about it.

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
finnipper59 said:
You may as well go ahead and add the bettafix. The quicker you start treatment the better. For future reference, they're are better meds to use. I've heard that bettafix is made from some sort of plant extract that leaves a thin oily film on the surface. Of course that will go away after treatment with water changes. API fin and body cure may be better next time. I've used bettafix before and didn't notice a film, but Ive seen several posts about it.
I use a carbon filter and I have shrimp in the tank will this affect them and should I also remove the carbon from the filter?

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With most all medications it's best to remove and replace the carbon. Not only can the carbon reduce the effectiveness of a medication, if you place it back in the tank, it could be harboring the same pathogens you killed off before...so throw it away.
w_johnson07 said:
I use a carbon filter and I have shrimp in the tank will this affect them and should I also remove the carbon from the filter?

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
finnipper59 said:
With most all medications it's best to remove and replace the carbon. Not only can the carbon reduce the effectiveness of a medication, if you place it back in the tank, it could be harboring the same pathogens you killed off before...so throw it away.
So should I just replace the filter cartridge

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If all you have in carbon is what is inside filter cartridges and the cartridges have been in the filters for at least 3 days, the carbon is already saturated from it's ability to absorb anything so you can leave things as they are and treat the filter cartridges too.
w_johnson07 said:
So should I just replace the filter cartridge

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
finnipper59 said:
If all you have in carbon is what is inside filter cartridges and the cartridges have been in the filters for at least 3 days, the carbon is already saturated from it's ability to absorb anything so you can leave things as they are and treat the filter cartridges too.
Okay, I went to the store and got my water tested and it said I had .25 ppm ammonia but everything else was fine except my alkalinity which was low. Could this cause the spot and fin rot. I have never had an issue with ammonia before. What could I do to lower it. Could it be the shrimp? I kept a dwarf Gourami and albino Cory cat in there for 2 months until the Gourami passed away and I gave the Cory back. And the ammonia has been fine until recently when I added the shrimp.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
w_johnson07 said:
Okay, I went to the store and got my water tested and it said I had .25 ppm ammonia but everything else was fine except my alkalinity which was low. Could this cause the spot and fin rot. I have never had an issue with ammonia before. What could I do to lower it. Could it be the shrimp? I kept a dwarf Gourami and albino Cory cat in there for 2 months until the Gourami passed away and I gave the Cory back. And the ammonia has been fine until recently when I added the shrimp.
Your ammonia is not crazy high, but ammonia does cause danger of fish stress. I always use a chlorine removing conditioner that say they also detoxify ammonia. Your test of the water will still show the correct reading of the ammonia until the biological filtration gets rid of it, but it will be detoxified so it can't harm the fish. I would get some. It will tell you on the bottle if it detoxifies ammonia too. I put a dose in my 55 gallon tanks daily between water changes. My filters do a great job, but both tanks are fully stocked with fish.

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
finnipper59 said:
Your ammonia is not crazy high, but ammonia does cause danger of fish stress. I always use a chlorine removing conditioner that say they also detoxify ammonia. Your test of the water will still show the correct reading of the ammonia until the biological filtration gets rid of it, but it will be detoxified so it can't harm the fish. I would get some. It will tell you on the bottle if it detoxifies ammonia too. I put a dose in my 55 gallon tanks daily between water changes. My filters do a great job, but both tanks are fully stocked with fish.
I have been using API stress coat but I found a bottle of Seachem Prime which I had 3 or 4 years ago, will it still work? Also I read some medicines can crash a cycle could BettaFix do it? Also if I add it the carbon in my filter cartridge won’t get rid of it correct. Could I also add a little bit of hydrogen peroxide to maybe help with the fin rot and get rid of the fungus or would that make things worse? Should I remove the shrimp and see if that helps? I also added bacteria supplement by top fin because I had some lying around and I wanted to make sure it wasn’t hurting my fish. Did I screw up using this??

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
w_johnson07 said:
I have been using API stress coat but I found a bottle of Seachem Prime which I had 3 or 4 years ago, will it still work? Also I read some medicines can crash a cycle could BettaFix do it? Also if I add it the carbon in my filter cartridge won’t get rid of it correct. Could I also add a little bit of hydrogen peroxide to maybe help with the fin rot and get rid of the fungus or would that make things worse? Should I remove the shrimp and see if that helps? I also added bacteria supplement by top fin because I had some lying around and I wanted to make sure it wasn’t hurting my fish. Did I screw up using this??
Bettafix won't crash your system. When your done with your treatment, just do partial water changes like you normally would...25 percent for instance right after treatment. 25 percent the next day scooping the water from the surface with a pitcher or something instead of siphoned it from the bottom. After that, jus resume your normal maintenance. If adding carbon means throwing away your biological bacteria too, I wouldn't do it. Otherwise carbon addition wouldn't hurt.

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
finnipper59 said:
Bettafix won't crash your system. When your done with your treatment, just do partial water changes like you normally would...25 percent for instance right after treatment. 25 percent the next day scooping the water from the surface with a pitcher or something instead of siphoned it from the bottom. After that, jus resume your normal maintenance. If adding carbon means throwing away your biological bacteria too, I wouldn't do it. Otherwise carbon addition wouldn't hurt.
Did I screw up adding the Top Fin bacterial supplement. Also is the Seachem Ammonia Alert trustworthy because I was thinking of getting one until I can get an API Master Test Kit. If I add the BettaFix the carbon in my filter cartidge will NOT get rid of it correct?

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That 1 tbsp or whatever ever the amount is that's in hod filters is usually spent in about3 days. If you haven't changed the cartridges in the past 3 days, the carbon in it won't take out anything. And adding the bacterial suppliment didn't harm anything either.
w_johnson07 said:
Did I screw up adding the Top Fin bacterial supplement. Also is the Seachem Ammonia Alert trustworthy because I was thinking of getting one until I can get an API Master Test Kit. If I add the BettaFix the carbon in my filter cartidge will NOT get rid of it correct?

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
finnipper59 said:
That 1 tbsp or whatever ever the amount is that's in hod filters is usually spent in about3 days. If you haven't changed the cartridges in the past 3 days, the carbon in it won't take out anything. And adding the bacterial suppliment didn't harm anything either.
Okay it also said to add 1/2 Tsp per gallon should I give it to him in a smaller tank or just add the recommended amount for five gallons. Also do you know anything about the Seachem Ammonia Alert and can Seachem Prime ever expire?

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not familiar with the ammonia alert, but if it's just a.test kit for ammonia, it's probably fine. I know the master kits are expensive.
finnipper59 said:

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
finnipper59 said:
I'm not familiar with the ammonia alert, but if it's just a.test kit for ammonia, it's probably fine. I know the master kits are expensive.
With betta fix, go ahead and treat the whole tank.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
w_johnson07 said:
Does the Prime ever expire?
Yes. I happn to be a retired Chemist. We always dated our chemicals and reagent with expiration dates. But I don't use Prime so I don't know what chemicals are in it. If it has it's ingredients listed on the bottle and one of them is sodium thiosulphate, then I know it's expired.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom