Fuzzy Spot On Fin- Getting Worse Despite Treatment?

Hegrey

Reaction score
Last week I noticed a small, protruding white bump on my betta's fin. It's showing through both sides, so I thought it was probably a small injury that had a fungus growing on it- so I started treating with Pimafix on Friday... I know it's only 4 days later, but it actually seems to be getting (slightly) larger. Now I'm worried it's ich- do you think I would have started to see results already, or should I continue the full 7 day cycle before trying ich treatment regimen?

You can see it on the bottom fin- sorry the pictures aren't better, but Nautilus is a chicken, and hard to get a picture of. As far as I can tell, it's the only white spot on his body, but like I said, it's definitely on both sides of the fin.

Attachments

FLDawna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty certain that's not ick. Looking at the pictures I don't see fuzz nor a protrusion. Honestly, it looks like it might be a natural light colored spot (like the tip of his dorsal is lighter).
Ick will look like a n actual grain of salt stuck to the fin.

Hegrey

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty certain that's not ick. Looking at the pictures I don't see fuzz nor a protrusion. Honestly, it looks like it might be a natural light colored spot (like the tip of his dorsal is lighter).
Ick will look like a n actual grain of salt stuck to the fin.
It's hard to get a picture from the side, but it's 100% protruding- and getting larger. It's in the middle of his fin, not the end.

FLDawna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Trust me...I know how hard it is to get good pics. In the picture I was comparing the color of the spot on his bottom fin to the color of the tip of his dorsal. But you say there is defined protrusion so there's obviously something going on. I had issues with some fin wounds from a jerk tiger barb and I got no improvement with just clean water and daily changes. Most people will advocate for keeping the water clean to allow healing to progress naturally. I saw an immediate improvement with aquarium salt and paraguard however. I've heard conflicting opinions about the salt too, but it worked for me. Could've been the Paraguard, but I used them both and it worked. Since I have no idea what that white spot is though, I can't advise on what treatment you should try. It doesn't look dire just yet so don't panic. You have time to figure it out and this site is amazing for helping newbs and pros alike.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom