Fuzzy ornament

1. qquake2k Initiate Member

Hi all. I have a rocket ornament in my tank that I got at PetsMart. It keeps getting fuzzy. None of the other ornaments in the tank have the problem. I take it out periodically and clean it off with hot water. Any idea what it is and what's causing it? And why aren't the other ornaments getting it?

Attached Files:

2. smee82 Well Known Member Member

looks like mold and its usually from over feeding or excess organics in your tank. What is it made out of and what are you water parameters?

3. qquake2k Initiate Member

I don't know what it's made out of, it didn't say. Since it's an aquarium ornament, I assumed it was safe. The ammonia is finally down (I had a spike), but nitrites are high, the water is hard, and the pH is high.

Attached Files:

4. celizabethh3 Member Member

Do you have fish in the tank? I know test strips can be inaccurate but the nitrite level concerns me.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. qquake2k Initiate Member

Yes, there are a red wag platy, black molly, and two pepper cories left. One molly, platy, and a pleco died within the last two weeks. These seem to be doing fine though. The tank is a 16 gallon, and I have an Aquaclear 50 on it.

Attached Files:

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It was probably the high nitrite that contributed to the death of your fish, I'd suggest doing some large water changes to get that reading down as soon as you can or you may lose more fish

7. qquake2k Initiate Member

I've been concentrating on getting the ammonia level down, but wasn't paying attention to the nitrites. On doing some research today, I learned that a nitrite spike will often follow an ammonia spike, which I didn't know. I did a 25% water change last Thursday, but apparently it wasn't enough.

8. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Hi there and welcome :)

I just wanted to add that, when a tank is cycling, it is sometimes necessary to do daily or even multiple times daily water changes to protect your fish. It may slow the cycle some, but is vital to the fish. Those nitrites looked to be about 3ppm? That's way, way, waaaaay up there. I would do several water changes back to back to bring them down as quickly as I could.

What kind of water conditioner do you use? Prime or Amquel Plus are great because they help detoxify the ammonia/nitrite to make the water safe for fish between water changes while a tank is cycling.

You could also look into Tetra SafeStart. This is a bottled bacteria product which will help finish out your cycle for you. Many of us have used it successfully. Just make sure you post here if you go this route for some guidance. There are steps not included on the bottle that are vital to ensure the product is effective.

As to your fuzzy stuff - I had this occur in my tank too. I think it's a mold as well and, like you, it only appeared on inorganic surfaces. I think it has to do with an excess of organic matter and nutrient sources. In this case, maybe related to cycling? Not too sure on that one though, sorry. What I can say is that, for me, it worked to manually remove the fuzz and step up my water changes for awhile, which you'll need to do anyway for your cycle.

Best of luck!

9. qquake2k Initiate Member

Can a high nitrite level cause the water to be cloudy?

10. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

No, not really. A bacteria bloom will cloud your water, and it's pretty common in newer tanks that are still cycling.

11. qquake2k Initiate Member

I did a 50% water change when I got home from work today. I also took the rocket out to clean it and guess what? The paint is bubbled and it started to come off. I'll definitely be taking it back to PetsMart.

Attached Files:

12. qquake2k Initiate Member

Well, nitrites are off the scale, even after the 50% water change.

Attached Files:

13. smee82 Well Known Member Member

I the paint was bubbling and came off in the tank i would personally tear it down and give it a hood clean before setting it up again. If yoy keep your flter material in water with you fish you shouldnt lose too much of your bacteria. Id also ask for the manager at petsmart and explain yto him that the rocket killed fish and disrupted the cycle in your tank and ask or a free bottle of TSS aswell as your momey back.

Sent from my SM-N9008V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app