Fuzzy gills! Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by loachaholic, Apr 4, 2010.

1. l

loachaholic Valued Member Member

My female betta has something weird going on in the gills in the area under her chin, it looks like it's all swollen and infected with something. She hasn't been eating much, swimming real slowly, and hiding a lot. She also seems pretty lethargic to me- though I could be wrong, all I know is Wesley is way more active than her, but I have next to no experience with females...

She was a 'community betta' for a while, but since I inherited her she's got her own heated 5g and it's only since the switch I've seen her gills puff up, just a couple of days ago. I'd been keeping her water clean with water changes (were going to be bi-weekly but she hasn't even been in there a week!) but since I saw she was sick I put my spare AquaClear on her tank (don't know if it's a 10 or a 20, I've adjusted the flow down a bit). Did a 30% water change yesterday, and today I've given her a diluted dose of Melafix and I'm going to do another water change later.

Attached Files:

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Can't really tell from the pics. Is that there all the time or could she possibly be flaring?
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    l

loachaholic Valued Member Member

She's not flaring, one side's just really puffed up.

sorry I didn't clarify with the photos: her gills are normally dark reddish/purple. That white stuff you can see all underneath in the second picture is something completely new and it's making me really nervous!

She seems to be moving around a bit more, but not very fast and she's still not eating.

4. lyndra

lyndra Valued Member Member

5. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Yes, do not use the melafix just to be safe! I can't really see from the pics, but I do see the fuzziness you mean. Maybe a fungal infection if it is white and fuzzy, but I'm sure someone else will be able to add more soon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice