Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish - New addition

sgould
Here is the newest addition to my 55 gallon tank. I had given up on being able to find a fuzzy dwarf after converting this tank from freshwater. Walked into the LFS last Wednesday and there she was. Score! I took it as a sign and took her home. She ate for the first time last night, and today has been much braver, and is out and about even with the lights on.

Kayin1470
wow, an amazing fish

MissMTS
She is so cute! Congrats on your find!

Drea
:kewlpics: Sean, what a beautiful, fascinating, wonder of nature your lioness is. I would be watching for hours....truly amazing. Thanks so much for sharing her with us.

agsansoo
Great addition ! What are you feeding him ?

diver28
Awesome, I've seen that fish once at my LFS. Didn't look as good as the one you have. Nice one.

sgould
Thanks all...I'm pretty jazzed with the addition, lions are such gorgeous fish. Gotta watch where you put your hands though!

Great addition ! What are you feeding him ?

For the first few days, I tried to interest her in silversides, but she wasn't having any of it. Lions like their food live, and it takes a bit of work, patience, trial & error to get them weaned off of it. Yesterday, I got her some live ghost shrimp, which were gone virtually the minute they hit the water. I have a couple of frozen ghosts I will try to lure her with next. I am hoping that she will be more receptive to trying them out now that she has had them live.

Peterpiper
HI sgould,
Nice drarf lion you got there! try gut loading the live shrimp if she needs a boost. funny how every marine LFS in oz has or can get lions and yet we can't get some of the lovely fish you can and vice versa.. such is life.. Good luck with the lion! watch where you put your hands..

capekate
WOW... gorgeous! Another reason why I wish I had a Saltwater tank..
sigh.......

~ kate

Rbacchiega
great looking fish! best of luck with it.

voiceless_kat
Now that is a very cool fish.....I wasn't sure what a "fuzzy dwarf" was, but had a good visual that looked nothing like that lion fish. Very neat.

sgould
lol...You need:helpsmilie:

Sabi
Hey Congrats! she's great!!

agsansoo
Any updates ? How's the lion doing ?

sgould
Doing great so far. I have weaned it from live ghost shrimp to frozen, feeding every other day. Ghost shrimp aren't really nutritionally right for marine fish, though, so the next step is to start switching over to marine preparations. I hope to have that accomplished over the next few days.

agsansoo
Great. Keep us posted on which foods he accepts. Maybe Formula 1 would be good too ?

Gozer_1
Oh man, do you have gloves lol. I would be too nervous to keep a Lionfish lol. They are wonderous fish though. My LFS lady said she got stuck by one once. Said it hurt like heck and made her feel drunk and drugged the rest of the day. No fun. Anyway, good luck.

Sabi
Great. Keep us posted on which foods he accepts.

Please do! I intend getting a dwarf lionfish when my tanks ready and going to follow your efforts closely!

sgould
Survived a first crisis this morning. Yesterday I noticed that 1 of my chromis was missing. This morning I found it. Sticking half out of the lion's mouth. I think it died yesterday and the lion scooped it up off the bottom overnight and got it wedged in it's mouth. 1 pair of gloves, 1 set of tweezers, 10 minutes and an improvised surgery later, the chromis has been freed and flushed. The lion is sulking, but appears none the worse for the experience. Sadly I was too freaked out to think to take a picture. In retrospect, it was a bit comical.

Drea
Things coulda been worse, it's great you were able to remedy the situation. A picture probably would have been amazing yet disconcerting too . Good save...;D

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies
Views
Nanci Griffin
Replies
Views
Vix1987
  • Poll