Fuzzy Cory Question 

anaugle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Four days ago I noticed my fav cory was fuzzy. He had fungus growing out of his side fin. So I went to the LFS to get something for him. I got Pimafix. I used it like the bottle said but........he died 3 days later. I'm very heart broken he died. My question is.... Does the Pimafix really work or did I waste my money? I'm not sure if I was too late or not....but I want to know if anyone has had a good experience with this medication really working?

BTW: all water conditions are good and not over stocked.
Thanks for any advice/answers.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm sorry for your loss. My husband went through that with his cories. But he took the cory out and dabbed a little rubbing alcohol directly on the fungus. Within a few days, the cory died. The fungus covered his eye and part of his head. I think the wound was just too extreme.

I personally have had no luck with Pimafix. Or the Maracyns.

Sometimes rather than meds, the best thing to do is be sure your water conditions are pristine. How often do you do water changes? and how much?

When you say your numbers are good, what exactly does that mean?

anaugle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I change the water every week,....about 25% - 35%

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have to admit, reading your "aquarium info" is making me dizzy. Is there any way you could break it down tank by tank?

Back to subject.....

What are your readings?

With regard to water changes, there are many schools of thought on how much, how often. My husband and I do 50% water changes every week. But we both have some large bioload fish (he has goldies and I have BPs).

I can't say for sure whether fungus is water quality related. Hopefully, someone with that knowledge will pop in to help us.

anaugle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry about that but I have a lot of info on all 7 tanks in my profile if ya wanna to look.
Ammonia is 0
Nitrate/Nitrite : no test for it yet but will be getting the kit soon.
PH is 7.5 (which has been the same since the tank was set last year. I check it periodically to make sure.)He's been fine it that PH since I got him last year so I know it's not that.
Both are the API liquid tests.

I just think I might have wasted money on meds that don't work.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry to hear about your fish

With so many tanks you might want to check out the API Master Kit for testing the water. It runs about $25-$30 I think maybe Walmart has the best price. It lasts a long time and is worth the money. At fist it looks about confusing but if you just go one test at a time and follow the directions steps it's not that bad.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So, you don't know what your nitrite and nitrate readings are, correct? This is among the most crucial information you can give folks here in order for them to help you.

Are you getting a complete API master test kit?

We do our testing ever week prior to doing a water change. It almost gets boring to do that because the numbers are always the same 0,0,10. But it gives us a standard to go by and reassures us that the steps we're taking are correct.

However, if you get "off" readings, it's usually the first sign something is wrong with your tank. Even before you see an illness, sometimes the readings will show you the possibility of illness. Not sure if I said that right. I know what I'm trying to say, but typing it isn't working well today.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hmmmI have had a bit of bad luck with my peppered corys. I got 4 at the end of april. qt for 2 weeks, then put them in the main 20 gallon tank. which has perfect readings. 2 so far have died of that fuzzy fungus stuff. I did treat with pimafix at first, nothing. so the 3rd just went into Q yesterday and is getting maracyn, as I had that already. not sure what's going on here.....but it's frustrating.

pimafix probably works for some things....but it may just be too mild for whatever this puff ball stuff is.

anaugle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yah it's frustrating!!!! Ya know you try and try to do what's best and still some fish die. Yes I will be getting the kit but that's beside the point now! I asked if Pimafix has worked for anybody and my conclusion is it does not work!!! Anyone have suggestions on how to prevent white fungus besides the obvious of keeping the water conditions great?Any natural solutions or concoctions I can use?(If this happens again)

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads