Fuzzy Algae On Hc Cuba Carpet

Discussion in 'Algae' started by arunk, Jul 31, 2017.

1. a

arunk New Member Member

I am at my wits end with the fuzzy algae growing on my cuba carpet. Tank size 12 inches cube. Total ADA setup, including substrate, fertilizers, lights etc. Lights on for 9 hours a day with pressurized CO2, drop checker always in yellowish green. 5 amano shrimps and 5 neon tetras. 12 anubias nana petite and a bunch of mini bolbitis. The fuzzy algae first started growing on the glass and within few days has enveloped the lower area of the cuba carpet. Any suggestions and ideas on how to eradicate and control this will be most gratefully accepted, many thanks in advance. fuzz-algae-on-cuba-1.jpg fuzz-algae-on-cuba-2.jpg fuzz-algae-on-cuba-3.jpg

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

3. KeeperOfASilentWorld

KeeperOfASilentWorld Well Known Member Member

Your HC carpet is showing signs of CO2 deficiencies. I see that you have stated that your drop checker is yellow but I think you should investigate. What is your dosing regime? How much of each ADA fert are you using?

This kind of algae usually appears when CO2 and nutrients are both low resulting in poor growth while your light is high.

Here are very helpful videos any aquascaper should watch :

Watch 15:15 to 15:25 of the algae video to begin with.

Please feel free to ask any further questions.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  4. OP
    OP
    a

arunk New Member Member

Actually I am not relying on the drop checker alone, I also watch the fish behaviour. When the drop checker turns yellow, the fish start coming up to the surface and I can see they are breathing faster, so I know CO2 is high. So I dont honestly think that CO2 is a issue. As the tank is around 3-4 months old, I am using ADA step 1 and Brighty K strictly as per recommended dosage, down to the drop. I checked the nitrates yesterday, using Prodac kit and nitrates showed up to be zero. I dont have a phospate testing kit yet, might be getting it soon. Meanwhile, I have cut down the lights - they were on for about 8 hours, and I have replaced it with another lighting strip that is about one tenth of the earlier one...any advice?

5. OP
    OP
    a

arunk New Member Member

And yes, all those videos are saved on offline videos on my youtube! thanks for the links though.

6. KeeperOfASilentWorld

I also am using ADA ferts and a full ADA substrate system. Here is what I would do without hesitation:

-Start double dosing both ADA ferts ( K and STEP 1 ) ASAP
    -Install the previous powerful light back to the tank ASAP
    -Clean all algae with a narrow CO2 hose
    -Keep lighting at 8 hours.
    -Get ADA Nitrogen ASAP and triple dose it the first day double dose it the first week and regular dose it after WC ( Watch NO3 at the same time with daily tests if it gets above 30-35 ppm skip a day and test again do not let it go below 20 ppm.
    -Feed your fish a smaller then normal amount for two weeks.

We want to get your growth rates higher to combat algae not lower. If you lower them, you would make way for the algae.

7. OP
    OP
    a

arunk New Member Member

Thank you, I understood every point except No.3: clean all algae with a narrow CO2 hose. These are fine, art painting brush like algae growing on cuba plants..they do not come off at all, and as you would know, Cuba has the tiniest of leaves. Even a little bit of pressure, and the leaves break off and come out. Also, how about water change regime?

8. KeeperOfASilentWorld

The algae shouldn't be that sticky on it's initial phase. You are a little too late, pruning would be best to remove it but you have to remove it. Your leaves shouldn't break off easily. They should not be breaking off even with force. I am assuming this is due to the plants health. I strongly advise cleaning as soon as possible.

9. OP
    OP
    a

arunk New Member Member

The leaves are about 2-3 mm, and so are the strands that grow on them. I am baffled on how to go about cleaning? Its a HC Cuba carpet with hundred of individual leaves...

10. KeeperOfASilentWorld

Usually a hose works fine but as you said that they are coming off pretty easily you should prune your carpet down to substrate and promote healthy new growth. In a healthy setup those tiny strands and leaves are tough as nails and should not be coming off no matter what you do.

Here is my HC ( There are no filters or color correction in the photographs ) :

852174902ca5b2ce9381ee2c4306b725.jpg 0a309890a758c06ba9fc9207b4f33c23.jpg 2065aa9b30ba3c8383d1d7dcf07a5a19.jpg

Here it is immediately after pruning:

58f3e025e4ba8b599ed757957cda3845.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice