Fuzz's Cpo Breeding Log

1. 2006fuzz

2006fuzz Valued Member Member

On June 21st I finally received my trio of CPOs which turned out to be 2 males and a female, Tang, Tigger, and Clemetine. Tigger and Clementine went at it in the acclimation bucket so the start of my long awaited crayfish breeding begins. Tang is being kept in a 3rd tank for the time being, with the idea of a 2.5 being set up just for him not out of the question yet.

Considering I already have my crays, and 2 of them have already mated I have a few questions.

1. Is it same to move the "berried" female? How about once the eggs hatched and the juvies are on her swimerettes?
    2. Will the adults prey on the young crayfish?

I plan on selling/trading the baby crays and Clementine and Tigger are currently being housed in my nice 5G planted nano display tank. I do want to keep my "original" crays and I'm not overly keen on having to dig through the carpetting plants to siphon all the crays, especially since I ave a very light-weight substrate (Fluval Stratum). A second option I've come up with, is having Tigger and Tang share the planted 5G, and have Clementine live in the 4G grow-out tote (option 2B)t I still see having her live there as a problem as I'd have to move one of the males into the tank every so often to mate with her. It does have the added benefit of I can time my spawns. In the very near future, a grow-out tote is being put together. My current "options" are either a large grow-out for both the german ram fry and the crayfish juvies, or one each. So either;

1A) 1 x 25 gallon tote 32 x 19 x 13
    2B) 1x 15 gallon tote 26 x 12 x 16 (rams) and 1x 5 gallon tote 14 x 11 x 6 (crayfish)

It all comes down to, which is better; moving my mated female after every mating, or moving my male to mate with my female. For this first spawn, I might actually end up leaving the female in the tank, and seeing just how small the babies are and how long they take to be at a size where pulling them is viable. this is my first attempt, and I want to document it for future reference for yself and others.

Just as a disclaimer, the rams will finish their grow-out in a 75G, the 15 is just for when their tiny and lunch sized.

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Giving this a bump up for you

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Hi there, sorry you haven't gotten a response yet. I have kept a few species of shrimp, but not crayfish. I have raised some ghost shrimp larvae, and they'll eat their young, so I'll go off of what I know from that.
    I believe they will eat their young. It is safe to move a berried female.
    What I would do is to keep the males and female together. It takes several weeks for the eggs to hatch, and once they get close to hatching you can see two tiny dots on the eggs, and those are the eyes. The female at this point should be moved to a separate tank in which the babies will be released. Most people remove the female at this point.
    The other option would be to throw a ton of moss into the main aquarium and most or at least half of the babies should live. With ghost shrimp, I had three berried adults (one was a whisker shrimp, oops) in a tiny 2.5, and it's been several weeks since the first female dropped them and I've kept the adults in, and there are 10-15 babies that survived the larval stage. This was out of probably 30 eggs.
    I'm not sure I would mix the ram and CPO babies, I think getting a smaller separate tank/tote, even a small one, would be the best option, so that you could move the berried female and raise the babiss

4. OP
    OP
    2006fuzz

Thanks for the reply, I’ve decided to do just that. Each will be getting their separate tote. As of now I’ve separated the female into a breeder box in the main tank so i can get an idea about timeframes and other things so I’ll be better prepared for her to remain in the large tank until releasing next time :)

5. OP
    OP
    2006fuzz

@bizaliz3 ive noticed on other threads that you’ve bred dwarf crays, was hoping for some advice if you don’t mind. I’ve had a female carrying eggs for about 8 days now. Today the eggs looked noticeably different, greyish with some clear parts rather then all black. Are the eggs close to hatching, and would now be a good time to move her to where I plan on growing out the baby crays?

6. OP
    OP
    2006fuzz

Today marks just over a week since I’ve had my CPOs and they got busy during acclimation. Clemtine, my breeding female is still holding eggs, and I think she’s close to having he fry hatch. Tigger, my breeding male, seemed to have a molting issue today. He couldn’t get his claws out of his molt, I held on to the shell in an attempt to help and he ripped one of his claws off. I chose against trying to help further, but the claw portion of the molt is still attached to him via his remaining claw. If he’s not free by tomorrow night, I’m afraid I may have to forcibly remove it, and in the process his second claw :/ I think an iodine deficiancy is at fault, so I will be altering their diet. Tang, my second male(non-breeder) is enjoying his digs, playing in a nice carpeting plant.

7. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, I did breed them briefly years ago. But its been a long time. Sometimes they started with black eggs, sometimes they started with white eggs. In both cases, they were fertile. It was very strange.

But eventually you can actually see the baby's eyeballs and you will actually recognize them as babies hanging on to mom, rather than eggs. I don't see a reason to wait to move her. Just move her now :)

As for failed molts...I lost several dwarf crays to failed molts. :-( Hopefully your guy makes it!

8. OP
    OP
    2006fuzz

Good to know about the molting problem :/ I’m going to physically remove what’s left of his molt from him tonight, he molted fine except his claws. I feel bad for having removed both his claws, but for the time being he’s alone in the tank so he should be fine.

I’ll move the female tonight then :) thx for your help Biz

9. OP
    OP
    2006fuzz

July 15th

, I have 3 free swimming baby crays in the grow out tote. I’m pretty sure my inexperience has shown through tho. Mama cray died today, aswell as the remaining babies that were still attached. I hadn’t been prepared but I will be for next time (considering I’ll have to either order other another female or wait and see if any of hear 3 babies are female.)

The plan on how to deal with the babies is to keep mama in the main tank with her eggs until they begin to change color ( about 2 weeks). At this time I will move her into the sealed floating breeder box I have, it allows circulation of water but the holes are too smal for babies to escape by, until the babies hatch (about a week). Once they hatch, she will either be moved to the grow out tote to allow babies to dislocate and hide OR I will add some moss to the breeder box so the babies can hide from mom and will then move mom back to tank and move the babies to the growout tote.