Fuzz like string growing off side of betta

gloriadp

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 5.5 g
How long has the tank been running? ~3 months, only about 3 days with livestock
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 80 F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 betta & 2 mystery snails

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once a week
How much of the water do you change? 25-50%
What do you use to treat your water? API Tap water conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? lightly vaccum substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? API Master Test Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
pH: 7.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? I've only had him for 2 days, I've fed him once each morning
How much do you feed your fish? 3-4 pellets, very small portion of frozen cube ( alternating food types each day )
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega one
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? frozen

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 2 days
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? day 2 (today)
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? fuzz like strings coming out of his side behind his right fin
Have you started any treatment for the illness? no
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? he did not appear so
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? no

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
I've just got my first betta and after about 2 days of having him I noticed he has some fuzz like strings coming out of his side and the area around it looks to be a lighter color. I'd rather try to help him rather than return him. He seems to still have a good energy level. He didn't like the taste of his pellets but was still interested in food. I have noticed he's been spending more time towards the bottom of the tank and in hides (that may be due to exploring the new environment?). I am new to the hobby so any helpful advice is very welcome.

Attachments

AlexW9102

Is there a chance that he may have anchor worms? Here is what I got on it:

"This is a parasitic disease that attacks the tail or fins. The affected parts appear red and swollen and have protruding worms and threads of slime.
It can be prevented by treating any newly infected fish and keeping the water clean.
Some antibiotics such as Methylene Blue and Parasite Clear can cure the disease.
The ailment can become fatal if it is not treated early enough."

You can look up pictures of anchor worms on bettas and compare them to the thing on your fish to see if they look similar. From what I can see, that may be it. I hope your betta gets better soon and I hope this helps!

Top Bottom