Fuzz Coming Out Of Danios Gills

Photobelle

I just found a dead guppy and what looks like fuzz is coming out of my danios gills! What is going on??? I just did a round of meds last week! A puppy died last week as well.

KimberlyG

What med treatment did you do last week? Did the guppy seem to have anything odd going on?

Photobelle

I used general cure. I got 4 guppies 2-3 weeks ago and so far 2 have died. I did the meds when the first one was hanging out at the bottom of the tank. He died and this one started hanging at the bottom of the tank yesterday and this am it was dead and my snail was eating it then I noticed the fuzz looking stuff coming out of my danio.

CichlidTai

Bacterial external is what it is. A bit of melafix helped me.

Photobelle

What is bacterial external? Could that be killing the smaller fish?

Greg F

Photobelle

Greg F

Rtessy

General cure can take care of some lower level bacterial infections, but not something this bad, from what I can tell. If you have methylene blue as well, you can give your fish a dip or bath in that.

Bryangar

That doesn’t look bacterial to me. It looks like fungus. Get some methylene blue. I’ve had better results dabbing the Mblue on the fish with a cotton ball, rather than doing dips, but you can which ever.

Photobelle

Ok should I try the melafix and methylene blue then? What can I do til the stuff comes in? Thank you.

Bryangar

I would just do the Mblue, it’ll be more effective. Do a few water changes until it arrives.

Photobelle

bryangar said:
I would just do the Mblue, it’ll be more effective. Do a few water changes until it arrives.
Do I treat just the fish or the whole tank? Thank you I will do a water change tomorrow am.

Bryangar

Photobelle said:
Do I treat just the fish or the whole tank? Thank you I will do a water change tomorrow am.
Just the single fish. It’ll stain your water blue, so it’ll be best if you don’t add it to the tank. Follow the directions on the bottle.

Photobelle

bryangar said:
Just the single fish. It’ll stain your water blue, so it’ll be best if you don’t add it to the tank. Follow the directions on the bottle.
Thanks that's what I read but I wanted to make sure.

dlboge

I'd say you have a "fungus". True “fungus” is a mound of white cottony fibers at least 1/8-inch-high. True “fungus” infection (technically usually a water mold called Saprolegnia) is almost always a secondary invader in a fish close to death. If the fish is a really prized fish one can treat with Fluconazole (Thomas Labs Fish Flucon for the “fungus”) in the water. If one cannot get or afford fluconazole, one can use some of the antiseptics such as hydrogen peroxide, potassium permanganate, formalin, methylene blue and malachite green to treat “fungus”.

FrostedFlakes

I second the methylene blue. Mblue stains fungal cells (which mold is) and disables their metabolisms. If you do baths, I believe it is one tsp per ten gallons but I can't remember the exact conversion. Best of luck to your fish!

Photobelle

Where would the fungus have come from? Will treating the one fish be good enough or will other fish get this?

Rtessy

Photobelle said:
Where would the fungus have come from? Will treating the one fish be good enough or will other fish get this?
It's always present in the water column but can't set in on a fish unless there is dead flesh on the fish. Treating this one fish should be fine, if it's fungus, which it looks like it is, it doesn't normally spread like a bacteria would.

Photobelle

So the fuzz is gone from the fish! I did a 50% water change yesterday. Cleaned one filters media and changed the others (it was due and I bought stuff to make my own vs the cartridge). I added stability just to help my bio cause I know that was alot. Should I still treat the fish when the meds come in? I am thinking I will. Do I need to find the fungus or just assume the filter will get it? Thank you

Photobelle

Hello all. So everything was fine then yeatyeste I noticed this same danio was not swimming much and was swimming funny. I looked and the aide there the fuzz was his fin is gone and now he has fuzz on the other side where his other fin is! Do I dip him in the meth blue again or at this point is something really wrong with him and I should put him down?

Bryangar

Photobelle said:
Hello all. So everything was fine then yeatyeste I noticed this same danio was not swimming much and was swimming funny. I looked and the aide there the fuzz was his fin is gone and now he has fuzz on the other side where his other fin is! Do I dip him in the meth blue again or at this point is something really wrong with him and I should put him down?
Is it possible to place him into a quarantine tank? Even a critter keeper with an airstone would work. I would dap the meth blue everywhere you see it with a cotton ball. The dips never worked for me.

Photobelle

bryangar said:
Is it possible to place him into a quarantine tank? Even a critter keeper with an airstone would work. I would dap the meth blue everywhere you see it with a cotton ball. The dips never worked for me.
No quarantine we don't have anywhere for one. Do I dilute the meth blue or just cotton ball and dab it and then place him back in the tank?

WinterSoldier.

Can you post a picture

Bryangar

Photobelle said:
No quarantine we don't have anywhere for one. Do I dilute the meth blue or just cotton ball and dab it and then place him back in the tank?
I pour some into the cap, soak the cotton ball and dab it on the fish. then dip it in some aquarium water to rinse off an excess Mblue, then put the fish back in the tank. All while it’s in a net.

Photobelle

Here is the fish. He had the same growth on the other side last month. It went away and now his fin is gone. He also seems bent. I am not sure if he is just suffering or if doing the meth blue for the fungus will help him.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom