Fuzz Beneath Dorsal on Otocinclus

LotusWhispers

First time seeing it today...
I am nervous. Only 2wks out of ridding my tank of ICH and I appear to have a fungus infection

Parameters are all ooook kinda.
Ammonia & Nitrite 0
0< Nitrate < 20 ppm
pH has been persistently around 8 despite neutralizers (sea chem pH neutral powder)
GH suuuper soft.
KH 300 which is high.
Daily 20% H2O changes because I’m overcrowding a 10gal and haven’t finished setting up the 20 yet. ASAP transition.

Water has been incredibly persistently yellow despite changes. I thought I ruled out wood (bought from establish aquariums at pet store), two different activated carbons have been useless. I now assume my ancistrus are nibbling the wood now enough to make new surface to release tannins...? If that’s a thing.

But anywho - the concern here is my otocinclus. White fuzz - big spot on back beneath dorsal fin. Ruled out Columnaris cuz it’s too moldy looking. Maybe cotton wool. But I did find a dead tetra today (first dead fish a month into this new tank) which was alarming, though I suspected one was pale a while. Using a general bacteria&fungus med - first dose this evening.

Everyone behaves normally, can’t tell yet if the infected oto has labored breathing yet...Earlier I thought so but not anymore.

I do hope the dose causes it to recede, because I don’t have a quarantine tank yet, still trynna set one up.
Ugh, pardon the length, trynna be thorough right away.
Awful pics included, will try to get better ones.

Also is my first thread I hope I found the right location to post.20B8F1CD-4871-4EE1-8E8E-2081F7465A02.jpegAF04F7CE-01C9-4AAE-ADEC-7FCA8AB84AD8.jpeg

LotusWhispers

LotusWhispers said:
First time seeing it today...
I am nervous. Only 2wks out of ridding my tank of ICH and I appear to have a fungus infection

Parameters are all ooook kinda.
Ammonia & Nitrite 0
0< Nitrate < 20 ppm
pH has been persistently around 8 despite neutralizers (sea chem pH neutral powder)
GH suuuper soft.
KH 300 which is high.
Daily 20% H2O changes because I’m overcrowding a 10gal and haven’t finished setting up the 20 yet. ASAP transition.

Water has been incredibly persistently yellow despite changes. I thought I ruled out wood (bought from establish aquariums at pet store), two different activated carbons have been useless. I now assume my ancistrus are nibbling the wood now enough to make new surface to release tannins...? If that’s a thing.

But anywho - the concern here is my otocinclus. White fuzz - big spot on back beneath dorsal fin. Ruled out Columnaris cuz it’s too moldy looking. Maybe cotton wool. But I did find a dead tetra today (first dead fish a month into this new tank) which was alarming, though I suspected one was pale a while. Using a general bacteria&fungus med - first dose this evening.

Everyone behaves normally, can’t tell yet if the infected oto has labored breathing yet...Earlier I thought so but not anymore.

I do hope the dose causes it to recede, because I don’t have a quarantine tank yet, still trynna set one up.
Ugh, pardon the length, trynna be thorough right away.
Awful pics included, will try to get better ones.

Also is my first thread I hope I found the right location to post.20B8F1CD-4871-4EE1-8E8E-2081F7465A02.jpegAF04F7CE-01C9-4AAE-ADEC-7FCA8AB84AD8.jpeg
Got a better pic even though it’s lights out for them, cringed while using the flash, but definitely would like thoughts on this fuzz!!

3AB60720-04DD-4701-B9FA-20FA354CC40F.jpeg

MacZ

Otos are extremely sensitive to Water parameters (in your case nitrates, pH and hardness are too high) and in general not the hardiest fish. The pH regulator might not be good for all your fish, just read the ingredients, it adds a lot of phosphates. Also with that high of a KH I don't think that stuff will work.

What I see is something Otos usually don't bounce back from, so rather expect that one not to make it. Only thing really helping with this on other fish are daily high volume (50%+) waterchanges for a few days and tannins in my experience.
Otherwise you obviously know yourself that the tank situation has to be sorted out soon.

The yellowish colour can be from the wood still. It doesn't have to do with the ancistrus (Do I read that right? More than one Ancistrus in a 10 gallon?), but they definitely help the leeching.

Mazeus

Just adding to what advice has already been given, obviously it's your tank and your choices, but trying to adjust the ph with chemicals normally does not end well. Chasing PH means that your PH is likely to be in a constant state of flux which will distress the fish. Were you also treating the ICH with medication? If so, that probably is also stressing the fish.

I don't mean this to be a lecture (sorry if it comes off as patronising) it's just far easier, and less stressful for the fish to work with what you have naturally, keep the tank appropriately stocked, and keep the water clean. Most ailments fish get (like fungus or bacterial infections) happen because the fish is stressed and their immune system is weakened leaving them more susceptible to ailments.

LotusWhispers

Heard. Thanks .

Rushing to double the tank size and finish reading up on natural pH options such as rock. I’ve got a big lava rock for the new tank but wonder if it’ll be too rugged/sharp cuz half my tank would be licking them. Would those fancy biostones be helpful here too or are those more just bacteria? Either way may get one.

Will continue daily water changes and perhaps even up the % or frequency.

Ideas on KH?

Appreciate the thoughts. Tis a humbling first “real” tank and may have moved too fast to get going. I read up on a lot of stuff before diving in but this is one of those hobbies which will keep yeh on your toes for a long time.

Id get a 55gal in a heartbeat if I didn’t move so often... Aware that even the 20 I’m prepping really isn’t enough in the world of ideals.

This morning the fuzz is half hanging off him, we shall see.... we shall see.

MacZ

Any rocks that change pH only raise it. You need tannins and the like. Leaves, bogwood, alder cones. That may eventually help with the pH.

LotusWhispers

Ooooh I see. Kk thanks.

LotusWhispers

The fuzz was eating him alive more than I thought.

Sharing a “grotesque” photo to assist education. It’s a close up. Very close up. For others who may stumble upon the thread.

Wish I had a proper slide/stain set up, I’d like to have isolated the organism that found him a host to learn its ways and name.

BD3D2458-6BFD-4266-B3EA-4A4AD9ED6F83.jpeg
6301C337-00D7-4AFE-8FF3-5CAB940EDCAA.jpeg

LotusWhispers

Somehow, everyone else are both still alive, and behaving incredibly lively with no signs of anything weird. (Zucchini behavior test!)

Will no longer dose the med, did a 30% water change and put the carbon back in.

Also will attend to parameters incredibly closely, and upgrade the tank this weekend.

Case closed.

MacZ

Do a bigger volume change again to remove as much as possible before using carbon. Do you use carbon regularly?

LotusWhispers

No just started playing with carbon 5-6 ish days ago trynna to tame the darkening tones but am conflicted. I might want to keep the tannins, or at the very least just let them run their course. It’ll clear up if it wants to.

: ).

MacZ

Just a word of warning: Activated carbon filters indescriminately, so it also removes other good stuff, not just the tannins.

LotusWhispers

MacZ said:
Just a word of warning: Activated carbon filters indescriminately, so it also removes other good stuff, not just the tannins.
Yeh it was only in a few days at a time enough to see no noticeable changes, so it probably was removing only the good stuff haha. Water changing will be enough : ).

Top Bottom