Future Saltwater tank, wondering...

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
When I stopped at the lfs (the good one, which has saltwater) today, I was as usual sucked to the saltwater section to observe the pretty Saltwater fishes. I have been trying to organize what pets I will have after college and I know that I want to keep a saltwater tank (along with several bettas, a goldfish tank, and two guppy tanks, a small one for females and a larger one for males). So I want to have a really good plan in place for the saltwater tank - its not a small investment, so I want to do it right. For the moment, let us assume that I have 75 gallons and unlimited funding. I would like to use live rock because I think it looks really cool, and I definitely want to have clownfish - my favorite is the maroon clownfish but the standard Finding Nemo style one (I feel dumb for not having the actual species name memorized, it starts with a P I think) would be OK, I believe I read that they have considerably differrent temperaments. Today I saw some fish which I believe were pajama cardinalfish, which I thought were totally cute and awesome. Can they be kept with clownfish? If they can, what other species can be kept with these two species? How many clowns and how many cardinalfish would be a recommended stocking level? Can invertebrates (particularly starfish and marine hermit crabs) be kept in this type of situation?

I'm working my way through about six tons of material on how to set up and maintain a marine tank, too, what fun!

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
Another question: Looking back through previous posts, I see that for a fish only tank, or even one with fish and live rock that you don't mind it not growing colorful stuff on it, all you need is a tank, filter(s), heaters, and salt water (oh, and fish). If this is the case, would a fish only tank be so horribly much more expensive than a freshwater one? Do saltwater aquariums require different filter media or something? My lfs friend is adament that it is impossible to set up any saltwater tank for under $500. Perhaps he is misunderstanding and thinks that I mean a reef tank? In this scenario I am excluding the cost of fish - I know that Saltwater fish can be pretty dang expensive.

Would anyone would be able to give me an estimate for switching an existing ten gallon freshwater tank to fish only saltwater, and would I be able to keep one clownfish and one or two pajama cardinal fish? If the price isn't prohibitive I would love to try this set up before I graduate college, as a warm up before I make a commitment to a larger tank.

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well you will still need the sand and you still need the live rock. You have to have benficial bacteria in the tank. I use a maineland filter which works great. the bio wheel kills the nitirte.

Without the tank it will run you up to $500 or more. I spent so much money on mine and its a 30 gal tank

kano5003

Reaction score
Hello welcome to saltwater world.
Everything that you said is fine exept the 2 different species of clowns. Sorry i know you There is alot to saltwater than just adding salt you need salt and protien skimmer the right sand all the marine tests including ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, phosphate, calcium, high range ph, and a hydrometer for salt mesures. if you need any more help please give us a yell on this post.

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom