Future project breeding cherry shrimp, any advice on successful breeding?

mang0

so the breeding will be in a 10 gallon tank. i've done my research and know the general info/tips, like have a cycled tank, sponge filter, live plants, moss, cholla wood, driftwood, indian almond leaves and botanicals, etc.

but if anyone on here has a good breeding tank and tips on a successful breeding tank (and how to produce a good line of shrimp) it would be appreciated! i'm trying to make sure i make the best tank for those guys. TIA!

PeteStevers

If your water quality is in the ballpark for RCS... they will breed :)

mang0

PeteStevers said:
If your water quality is in the ballpark for RCS... they will breed :)
what would you say the ideal water parameters look like for them?

PeteStevers

Temp 68 - 72 (I'm at about 74)
pH 7.0 - 7.6 (my pH is around 7.4)
Nitrite - 0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - less than 20ppm (haven't tested this in a while)
Gh - 7-15
Kh - 2 - 8
Copper - 0
TDS - 200 to 300 (mine gets up to almost 400 then I do water changes with a mix of tap\RODI water to bring it down around 250 - 300)

mang0

PeteStevers said:
Temp 68 - 72 (I'm at about 74)
pH 7.0 - 7.6 (my pH is around 7.4)
Nitrite - 0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - less than 20ppm (haven't tested this in a while)
Gh - 7-15
Kh - 2 - 8
Copper - 0
TDS - 200 to 300 (mine gets up to almost 400 then I do water changes with a mix of tap\RODI water to bring it down around 250 - 300)
thanks so much!

Jack B Nimble

Ive learned keep about 70% of tank open ground as then you can see all the shrimp. I went with a jungle look and hard to catch them when you have to cull or sell. Key really is stability and I feed babies spirulina powder and bacter AE the survival rate will increase.

Mazeus

Don't clean algae off the sides of the aquarium. It's a good food source for them.

fish47

make sure your substrate is inert so the ph doesn't get lower, unless you need it lowered.

PeteStevers

Mine isn't just a shrimp tank, I have a bunch of smaller fish (tetras) that don't bother them. I have very little open space on the substrate and the RCS hang out in the plants or on what substrate there is. Its also tough to target feed them anything since the fish will go after it as well. The shrimp aren't scared of the fish either. They'll stay right in there and fight for the food. Fun to watch them.

mang0

Jack B Nimble said:
Ive learned keep about 70% of tank open ground as then you can see all the shrimp. I went with a jungle look and hard to catch them when you have to cull or sell. Key really is stability and I feed babies spirulina powder and bacter AE the survival rate will increase.
awesome, this is part of my plan. i'll have some tall background plants in the back and then the open space with some driftwood and cholla logs and botanicals in the middle. thanks!

mang0

Mazeus said:
Don't clean algae off the sides of the aquarium. It's a good food source for them.
i plan on running the lights for like 13 hours a day for around a week or so before the shrimp go in so they have plenty of food! thanks!

mang0

fish47 said:
make sure your substrate is inert so the ph doesn't get lower, unless you need it lowered.
i was thinking traditional sand. thoughts?

fish47

mang0 said:
i was thinking traditional sand. thoughts?
yes thats fine as long as its inert and grows plants

PeteStevers

Top Bottom