Future pair of koi bettas?

1. Jwills95 Member Member

Hello all, I have three koi bettas and I'm very interested in breeding them. I have done tons of research on breeding bettas but before I decide try, I was wondering if these bettas would be considered good quality. They are all from a breeder.

Here is the male
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466256764.735728.jpg

And here is the female I'm wanting to breed
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466256810.616055.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466256863.387031.jpg

I also have this female, if she would be pair better with my male
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466256902.422571.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466256939.391509.jpg

I understand this is both time consuming and expensive, but I really want to try. I have most of the equipment I need and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this pairing. Thanks! :)

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

3. Jwills95 Member Member

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Oh darn, it must have expired or gone down. I haven't looked at it in a few months - I should've checked!

5. Jwills95 Member Member

I was hoping it was my phone. That sounded very interesting!

6. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I would try the red girl first, it's best to pair like colors together. After you get the process down you could try the yellow girl.

7. Jwills95 Member Member

Okay, I will try her first. Any tips? I've been following your threads to try to learn what I should do and when. Is the IAL a must? Or could i do without it? I don't mind ordering some if it is.

8. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I would try a smaller tank, around shoebox sized. They will spawn faster. Make sure you have live food ready, but my babies are eating frozen BBS right now.
    IAL is not necessary, but I had more eggs hatch when I used it.

9. Jwills95 Member Member

I have an empty 10 gallon i was planning on using as a spawn tank. So do you think I should use that once the babies get bigger and get a 5.5 gallon for them to spawn? I've never fed BBS before so I will have to learn about that.

10. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I just bought a cheap critter keeper(medium sized) and once I took the male out placed it in the 10 and slowly raised the water level. Once the 10's full I slowly dump everything out of the critter keeper and into the 10.

11. Jwills95 Member Member

Oh okay! I'll try that! Thanks!

12. Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

Those are neat! Never heard of such a thing. I think if my girl saw those she'd want me to make a couple 5 gallon tanks because we'd be getting at least 2.

And now is when I run from this topic in hopes she never sees.

13. Jwills95 Member Member

Lol, I saw them and I couldn't resist! I had to get them. Hopefully I'll get some pretty babies.

14. Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

Here's hoping!

15. Jwills95 Member Member

Thank you!